Firefox lost (and won't reinstall) 1PW extension

Options

After Firefox updated to v. 56, I no longer had the 1PW icon. I realize it had been a "legacy" extension but had thought it was deemed acceptable with upgraded states in the works. I tried uninstalling the extension (which wasn't working anyway) but now can't reinstall it. I get the message "addon could not be downloaded because of a connection failure". I disabled my antivirus and anti malware programs and tried again with the same results. So I tried downgrading back to Firefox 55.3. And got the same thing. Again I disabled the AV and AM programs. Still no joy. I've now restored the upgrade to v. 56.

When I tried to reinstall, the addons list no longer even offers 1Password as an option!

The main 1PW console works but it's obviously not a very efficient way of using it. I've come to depend on it mightily and hope you can help me solve the problem.

I'm sure I've left out pertinent detail but you'll ask for it. 8-)

Thank you as always. You're the best!

-G.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 8-(
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gorham,

I am sorry to hear you've bumped into troubles with 1Password extension!

The latest version of 1Password extension for Firefox is available on our website. Could you please try to download it from there and let me know if it works?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Diktis
    Diktis
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! Today I got the same problem. These instructions do not help. Installation is successful, but does not work.

• @Diktis: These instructions are intended for when the installation isn't working properly. If you're having trouble using the extension, you'll need to try something different. Could you tell us what version of the main 1Password app you're using? Are you using 1Password 4 or 1Password 6? This will help us point you in the right direction. :+1:

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg and thanks for responding. I got the same connection failure message using the link from your post. Sigh.

-G.

• Diktis
    Diktis
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @bundtkate ! I use the programs:

• Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    • 1Password for Windows 4.6.2.626
    • Mozilla Firefox 56.0 (64-bit)
    • Extension: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.11.91
  • @gorham: Please give this a try:

1. Visit https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions in a different browser e.g. Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    2. Click the “Show all extensions” link.
    3. Click the “Install” button for Firefox.
    4. This will download an XPI file to your downloads folder or wherever this browser is set to download to.
    5. In Firefox visit the page about:addons and, if needed, select Extensions from the menu down the left hand side.
    6. Drag and drop the XPI file downloaded by step 3 onto this page.

@Diktis: Please first check for me that Use Native Messaging protocol is checked in Help > Advanced in the main 1Password 4 app. If it's not, enable that option, restart your browser and let me know if this gets the extension working.

• Diktis
    Diktis
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Now it works. Thank you very much!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kate, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well.

I'd encourage you to investigate what's preventing Firefox from making a secure connection to our site to download the extension though — usually some "security" software trying to sniff your traffic.

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I tried this yesterday. I got the .XPI file fine. But there's no option to drag and drop to my add-ons page. All over that page I get the icon with a "move" arrow but it won't resolve anywhere. Is there a screenshot of this working in Firefox? Thanks.

• @gorham: As an alternative, you can click the cog wheel on the add-ons page (top, next to the search field) and select Install add-on from file, then navigate to the XPI's location rather than drag and drop. Give that a go and let me know how you get on. :+1:

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate First it looked like it did absolutely nothing. Really. I clicked to add from file, brought up the file directory and opened the XPI file. And was back looking at the list of add-ons. I scrolled down the list and found it. Except that it just says "downloaded" with no option to enable.

:'( and/or >_<

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up. I closed Firefox, hoping it would show the extension on reload. What happened was that it disappeared. Back to square one with no 1PW extension in evidence. Phooey!

-G.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gorham: Right. That goes back to my earlier point: it isn't normal to not be able to connect securely to download and install the extension, and it's even less reasonable that (likely whatever is causing the first problem) is actually removing the thing after the fact. We can't prevent something from messing with your connection or removing files from your computer. The only other possibility besides some shifty "security" software messing with things is that Firefox or the profile is simply damaged. You could try reinstalling Firefox and setting up a new profile...but that would account only for the extension not installing, not being unable to connect to download it in the first place. Please let me know what you find.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. Well I have it back and working fine. Not sure exactly how but here's what I did. First, I created a new profile with 1PW as the only extension. It went in fine. So I knew I could get at it. Then I started in on my other extensions. First I identified the .XPI files. There were a couple or three I could do without so I got rid of them but my problem still existed. For a time I went back and forth from profile to profile and decided to just go ahead and set up the new one. I started adding the extensions I care about - one at a time with checks in between of course. Then I just happened to look more closely at the screenshot (of the original profile) I was working from and, lo and behold, tucked up in the opposite corner from where I had it was a little keyhole icon! So I stopped working with the new profile and went back into the original and everything tested fine. Ah the wonders of technology. Anyway, thank you all as usual.

-G.

• @gorham: We humans are nothing, if not creatures of habit. I spent the longest once upset that my Master Password wasn't working. Lo and behold, I had added a test account and signed out of others and simply forgotten about it. I'm glad you were able to sort things out as well and if we can do anything else to help, we're here for ya. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.