Have iOS installs, plus one windows laptop, have forgotten how do I install on Windows

Options

I originally purchased 1Password on my iPhone and have since installed it successfully on my iPad, my Mac, and on a Windows Laptop, all this was some time ago, whereby they all synchronise with the same list of password (about 140 of them) that backs up to my iCloud drive.
I am trying to install 1Password on my main Windows 10 system but I have forgotten just about everything needed to do this. I can't seem to find what my email was, or what my license key is, or even where to get the correct 1Password installation software for my license, I do at least know what my vault password is.

Any help with where to start would be much appreciated.

Richard

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Have iOS installs, plus one windows laptop, have forgotten how do I install on Windows

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Septic! I'm a little confused, because 1Password for Windows has never been able to use iCloud to sync data, yet you say

...they all synchronise with the same list of password (about 140 of them) that backs up to my iCloud drive.

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on getting iCloud sync set up for a cross-platform 1Password 'ecosystem' like yours, because iCloud sync is only available in an all-Apple environment (Macs, iOS devices).

If your purchase of 1Password was some time ago -- more than a year or two -- then it's likely you purchased for only one platform (Mac, probably?), and don't have a bundle license for both platforms. We did sell a higher-priced bundle license which included a license key for both the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password, but you'd have had to purchase that specifically.

However, if it's been a while since you used 1Password for whatever reason and you have a multi-platform setup (Windows, iOS, Mac), you may find the recent 1Password accounts more suited to your situation. If that sounds good to you, it's easy to move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account. If you have any questions or need another method, let us know!

• Septic
    Septic
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply.

My Windows laptop uses 1Password Trial version (version 4.6.2.625) and the trial version expired on 14 Nov 2015 but still updates itself with changes made on my iOS devices. I’ve been getting reminders that there’s an update available (4.6.2.626) which I haven’t done yet.

Thinking back to when I set that up, I had to use a Dropbox account I think to carry the data across. It is now set to scan a Dropbox folder for updates which must be where it picks up the newer items from.

It’s defintely still working as it has entries on the Logins list for this year as recent as 2nd Sep.

What I would like to do it set up the same thing on my main PC as well. Perhaps if I go through the same steps as before it will work for me.

If this doesn’t work then I will investigate the links you have provided about account creation. I’m fairly certain I paid a fair amount of money for 1Password and may even have purchased and setup an account for cross platform use. I just can’t find any emails or details within the apps themselves to point me the right way as to what account name I used etc.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That makes more sense, @Septic. Dropbox would have been the way to set things up on a Windows PC back in 2015.

You can follow these instructions to sync with Dropbox:

Sync with Dropbox (Windows)

If ever want to upgrade to a 1Password account (and not have to worry about Dropbox), you'll always have the option. :)

• Septic
    Septic
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. You’ve been most helpful.

• Septic
    Septic
    Community Member
    Options

Gents, my problems have been solved. Thank you. I have managed to install 1Password (trial version) on my main Windows 10 machine, and link it, via Dropbox, to my vault.
    Everything appears to be working. We’ll see what happens when the trial finishes.

Thank you for all your help. I have that many ‘clouds’ they’re getting as bad as portable hard drives to remember what is on what. Add my NAS into the mix and life just gets more complicated not less.
    I would swear I have terabytes of duplicated files. I’ve been trialling a few packages to search them out, (I’m a photographer so duplicated shoots can add up space really fast). So far I haven’t found one I really like (I don’t mind paying either). I need one to give me the ability to move files around and delete the copies. With around 30Tb of Home storage, not including clouds, it takes ages to rescan every change.
    Anyway, that’s for another day, another forum. Rant over.

Thank you,
    Richard.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Septic: On behalf of Lars and Khad you are very welcome!

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate already, so if you want to stop worrying about sync in 1Password, I would definitely recommend you to sign up for 1Password account. This way your encrypted vault will be stored on our servers and all you will need to do on a new device is to download 1Password, sign in to your account, and your data will be there. That simple. :)

Please let us know if you have any additional questions about it. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.