Error with Edge Extension

Options

Hi, just loaded the edge extension installed fine but on restarting edge I immediately get error -

c:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DC5C6510.1Passord_6.8.459.0_x64__2v019...\1Password.Edge.Native.exe

The Data area passed to a system call is too small.

After dismissing the dialog 1Password is unresponsive.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.11.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tmb4016,

Thanks for reporting this.

When you say 1Password is unresponsive, is it the 1Password extension in Edge that's unresponsive or the main 1Password window?

Try closing Edge and wait 5 seconds first before you reopen it, see if that helps at all. We have a known issue with Edge where restarting Edge very quickly will not allow the system to terminate the multiple processes in time to restart it for the new Edge window.

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

No change despite waiting. When I say unresponsive no extension browser window appears and subsequent clicks on the extension icon produce no activity. The 1Password6 application runs fine.

This behaviour occurs with or without the 1Password application running.

• MikeT
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @tmb4016,

Try terminating both Edge and 1Password or reboot if it is quicker for you.

1. Close all Edge windows.
    2. Right-click on 1Password icon in the notification area to select Exit.
    3. Open the main 1Password window first, unlock and then open Edge, see if it works.
  • tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Tried all these and no change still get the error. Any other suggestions ?

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Tried a few more things and a different machine. The first machine I tried it on which gives the error - I realised it is running on the Windows Insider Program (Slow Ring) so is running 1709 build 16288.1 so probably not a fair test although obviously the Fall Creators release is just around the corner.

Tried on second machine running Windows 10 release 1703 Build 15063 and install works ok and no error on starting edge. Only problem I had is that Edge needs to be the default browser for the functionality of the extension to work. Otherwise clicking the 1password icon in tool bar does nothing. Will continue to test on this second box.

If you have any suggestions on getting it to run on insider build let me know or if you want me to try anything out.

Cheers

• Hi @tmb4016,

Thanks for writing back.

Do you have any anti-malware solution running on your PCs?

The first machine I tried it on which gives the error - I realised it is running on the Windows Insider Program (Slow Ring) so is running 1709 build 16288.1

I'm running the same Insider build and I don't see that error at all.

Only problem I had is that Edge needs to be the default browser for the functionality of the extension to work.

That certainly isn't a requirement. If clicking on 1Password icon doesn't work, it means it is not working at all.

I think I know why you said the default browser is a requirement, you may be using Go and Fill with 1Password mini opening up via Control + Alt + \. In this case, it uses your default browser to open the site and attempt to fill. However, you said it works, does that mean filling too? I can understand why opening sites work but not the filling since that requires the extension to work perfectly.

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT - Thanks for the input.

Re first M/C on insider build... Only AV/Malware is Bitdefender and this has not caused any issues up to now with the use of Firefox as default browser and 1password extension. It has recently updated to 2018 but again no impact on Firefox. I've tried disabling it temporarily and still get the error.

On second working m/c - I do have Go and fill enabled and with limited testing that seems to be fine. but with regard tot the extension I am not sure if it was a requirement or not but I noticed that when Firefox was still set as the default browser any icon press in Edge did not produce any 1password activity. As soon as Edge was made the default browser and restarted - all was good It may just be a coincidence !. Not a problem for me anyway as the whole aim is to use Edge and therefore set it as default. I will continue to test over next few days but so far on second machine all has worked well today.

Thanks for the assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. Likewise, thanks for the additional detail! Be sure to let us know how it goes. :)

• Hi @tmb4016,

What's M/C?

Only AV/Malware is Bitdefender and this has not caused any issues up to now with the use of Firefox as default browser and 1password extension.

The 1Password extension for Edge will not behave the same as the other browsers because it is self-contained inside an invisible Windows Store app running to communicate with 1Password desktop program. It has its own two separate processes which are new, which will make anti-malware solution suspicious.

As soon as Edge was made the default browser and restarted - all was good It may just be a coincidence !

Can you change the default browser setting back to Firefox and see if it blocks 1Password from working in Edge?

Thanks!

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Apologies M/c standards for machine...

Ok Bitdefender is on machine that gives the error. I am testing disabling elements in Bitdefender to see if I can find anything in that. I will let you know.

On the second machine that works resetting default browser to firefox does not block it - it might just be a coincidence / blip. I do notice however that the vast majority of the times when I start Edge it launches 1password from the system tray as Edge loads. On logging in the extension then functions as expected. Occasionally however 1password does not prompt at start up but does prompt in the browser on first click of the icon in the toolbar. What is the expected behaviour ?

• Hi @tmb4016,

For the best optimal experience, 1Password should be running before you open the web browser. It sounds like 1Password isn't configured to start when Windows boot up in your 1Password settings.

Try configuring 1Password to start when you boot up Windows and see if 1Password in Edge works more consistently. To do this, open the main 1Password app, click on Settings on bottom left to select Options. In Options, select General tab to find the setting for Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows.

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Still no joy getting this to run. Basically useless! Looking at other password managers now that work with Edge.

• @tmb4016: I've now seen a few other instances of the error you're seeing in Edge, so this is something we're going to need to track down. Beyond BitDefender and Insider build of Windows, are you aware of any other differences between software on the working machine vs. non-working? Thanks! :chuffed:

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    No nothing specifically different on this machine. I've done some investigation and there are other instances of this same error with other apps - namely Microsoft Photos app which produces the same error on double clicking a jpg file. The various fixes for this seem to relate to incorrect or multiple version of registry entries so does not seem relevant to the 1password error. This does not occur on my machine though.

I've tried removing both the app and the main 1password program and cleaning the registry. Subsequent reinstall produces the same error however.

Not really sure what else to try. Happy to try things if you need to try to track it down.

• Hi @tmb4016,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, there may be more details in there that could help. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Email sent...

• Thanks, we got the email and will reply to it as soon as possible.

ref: GLH-39322-657

• tmb4016
    tmb4016
    Community Member
    Options

Sent you an email with an update but just to confirm it is now working.

• Hi @tmb4016,

That's great, I saw the email update, thanks for sending that.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of some of the Edge related issues we're dealing with. They're not consistent and just stops or start working out of nowhere. We're still investigating for the pattern and hope to have a better solution soon.

This discussion has been closed.