"Edit" is disabled in 1Password 6 [1Password 6 has read-only support for local vaults]

Options
peacerich
peacerich
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I have used 1password since before I was borned!?! On a mac. Now I am forced to use a PC on Windows 10 and I have changed from "icloud sync" to "Dropbox sync" so that both machines can talk to eachother. However, I noticed that I can not edit on the windows machine. When I searched for a answer on your site I sound that you where asking customers to move to 1password accounts with monthy payments. This can not be right? Please help me on how to proceed, Without subscription, please.

1Password Version: 6.1.296d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, latest
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@peacerich: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not yet support local vault like the one you're syncing with Dropbox, which is why it isn't possible to edit there. While you can use your existing license to get a discount on 1Password for Windows version 4 (which is a mature app that supports local vaults fully), you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Myke623
    Myke623
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to bump this, but is there an official page, Knowledgebase article, (or something!) somewhere that lists what you can and cannot do in the current versions of things? Not only have I learnt the feature disparity between the various OS platforms, but it's coupled to one's chosen sync method.

I'm currently trialling the Android app (6.4.5), along with the Windows client (Windows 10) and syncing with Dropbox. The Android app currently has the Pro Features unlocked (nice!), but it's kind of frustrating to discover -- the hard way -- about all the things you can't do when syncing this way.

For example, a feature like customising / editing fields is not available when syncing to Dropbox. It would be nice if the official Windows guide said something about this, or the support article for Syncing with Dropbox? Or both?

I didn't anticipate having to read / search forum posts to troubleshoot why things weren't working. So in the interests of making the experience of evaluating your products & services less painful, I think it would be helpful to ensure that limitations are noted throughout the official documentation (guides, kb's, etc) where appropriate.

Cheers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Myke623: Rather than maintaining an ever-changing list of differences between the various apps/versions, we're working on closing the gaps there. For example, about a week ago, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app got a brand new editor. But as I mentioned above, it does not support local vaults though, so it's really better to use 1Password 4 if you'd prefer to use those (and sync with Dropbox). 1Password 6 is only needed if you're a 1Password.com subscriber, and 1Password 4 is a mature app with a lot more features (though we're quickly closing that gap).

I'm sorry that it's a bit confusing right now, especially as a Windows user, but we're working hard to get 1Password 6 to the point where it's ready for everyone, and has parity with 1Password for Mac. In the mean time, we're here to help if you have any questions. Happy new year! :)

• Myke623
    Myke623
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that @brenty and Happy New Year to you too!

Although I had previously read your recommendation to use the stand-alone 1Password 4 for local vault functionality, for some reason, I wasn't associating "local vault" with Dropbox, so I didn't think to try it out. But having now just installed it, I can say it offers just what I need for now, and I'll happily continue with my evaluation.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty,

I know it's not possible to give us a release date to support local vaults. But maybe you can provide us a timeframe? Are we talking about weeks, months or years? What's your own impression? Do you think 1PW 6 with local support and wlan sync will be released before summer 2017?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Finke03: I'm not really comfortable saying more than that, since anything can happen in the process of developing and testing any feature...but vaults are the foundation of 1Password and critical to storing our data securely and reliably, so we want to take as much time as needed to ensure that we don't put your data (or our own) at risk. That said, I do feel confident that local vault support will precede WLAN Server. It's simply more important to more people — technically, anyone not using 1Password.com needs local vaults, but WLAN Server users are only a small subset of that...and of course WLAN Server depends on local vaults in the first place, so it's a bit of a blocker there. I'm sorry that's probably not a very satisfying answer, but hopefully that gives you a little insight into our priorities.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Myke623: Regarding the "local vault" moniker, I agree that it's a bit confusing. We just haven't been able to come up with something better retroactively. We call non-1Password.com vaults "local" vaults, because they are stored only locally on the device unless you choose to sync them elsewhere (Dropbox, etc.), and there's always a local copy on each device. I hope that at least helps clarify things.

I'm glad to hear that you're finding 1Password 4 to your liking! Be sure to let us know if there's anything we can help with as you give it a test drive. :)

• aoleynik
    aoleynik
    Community Member
    Options

The only way to work with Dropbox is use 1Password 4 for Windows. So how could I use it with Edge browser?
    Extension installed for my browser uses 1Password 6 therefore I can't create nor update my records.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @aoleynik,

You are correct, 1Password 4.6.2.626 is the latest version of 1Password for Windows, which supports local vaults, but it doesn't work with 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge. If you prefer local vaults, we totally respect that, so please stay tuned for 1Password 7 for Windows, which will support standalone licenses, local vaults, and will work with 1Password extension in Edge. We announced it in our blog some time ago, please check that blog post out here.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask them, we are always ready to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.