How do I fill in the user name field? And why is the edit function of the logins so illogical?

Options

I find the edit fields so counter intuitive and illogical. Why? I just want to change the user name of a login screen (it's empty and I want to fill it!). Why do I get all these options that I never ever use? This has always bugged me. Please help!

1Password Version: 4.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:user name field

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I find the edit fields so counter intuitive and illogical. Why?

@roygilsing: I'm not sure how to answer that. Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do and where you're having trouble?

I just want to change the user name of a login screen (it's empty and I want to fill it!).

If you choose "text" that will give you a regular text field...but you really shouldn't be creating logins by hand in the app: 1Password can save this stuff correctly for you (based on the login form on the webpage) from right within your browser. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

Why do I get all these options that I never ever use? This has always bugged me. Please help!

1Password uses these options to be able to fill webpages correctly. Without differentiating between username, password, and other elements on the webpage, it's difficult to do so.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• roygilsing
    roygilsing
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick response Brenty,
    I usually always let the 1Password create the login automatically, but these issues often happens when I'm registering or changing login passwords. In this particular case, the user name was not saved (no clue why). If I create a custom text login field it doesn't register under username (gebruikersnaam in Dutch). Why is there no 'user name' tab? What I mean by illogical and counter intuitive is that every login requires just that: user name (often email) and password. Why would it be so difficult to update or change just that? It's also very complicated with all these 'fields'. The automatic creation often fails unfortunately.

• @roygilsing: If the username field wasn't saved, it's possible the field itself wasn't detected which could be a problem of its own. One reason 1Password works best when the extension does the saving for you is that it helps 1Password to "learn" where to fill each field in a sense. If the extension isn't detecting a particular field, it may may not fill properly even if you do manually add the username to your Login item. Looking at your screenshot, it may be that this is just such a case. If you re-save this login manually, does the username save properly? The screenshot there is for 1Password 6, but the instructions are the same for 1Password 4. Let us know if that works better for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.