Edge: Browser connection refused. 1Password refused connection from untrusted source [investigating]

Options
Gaston_63
Gaston_63
Community Member
edited January 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi - I am having the same issue as mentioned in other discussions, the installation of the Edge extension was refused, and I can see a respective error message in the Settings. Message which flashed up for a few seconds was "Browser connection refused. 1password refused connection from untrusted source, check logs for details."
However, the fixes in the other discussions won't work for me, because they are valid for Chrome or Firefox. Any suggestion how to get this running on Edge? Thanks.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Gaston_63,

Thanks for writing in.

That's unusual, I've never seen this to be the case for Edge because Microsoft ships Edge built into Windows and it is not likely to have an invalid signature. If it is failing, that may mean Edge is damaged or something else is interfering with 1Password's checks.

What version of Windows 10 do you have? To get the specific build number, type winver in start menu and open the command for it. It should tell you the version number like so:

• robcourtney
    robcourtney
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I am seeing the same error using the Edge extension on Windows 10 v.1703. Thank you guys for your efforts to support Edge! I know it is a small platform but as a Surface user it's a big help. The "Refused Connection Attempts" window in 1Password says "svchost by unknown publisher, process ID 1012"

• Gaston_63
    Gaston_63
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, your picture was the clue! I realized that Windows was still on Version 1703, and when checking the update history I found several failed attempt to update to 1709. It seems that the computer was never running long enough to install this huge update package, only once I left it on for several hours did the update go through.
    Once I installed the update, and some subsequent updates as well, 1Password now works perfectly.
    @robcourtney: try running the update (it took about 5 hours on my computer), and once on 1709, check if 1Password now works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robcourtney: Thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry you're having trouble with this. 1703 is about 6 months old now. It may be that an update failure is causing this. Are you unable to apply Windows Updates for some reason? Microsoft ships updates to Edge in the rollups, so that could certainly contribute. Let me know what you find!

• robcourtney
    robcourtney
    Community Member
    Options

For the moment I'm stuck on this version due to the group policy at my employer. At some point I expect we'll get to the new version, but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully when we do it'll resolve this issue!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robcourtney: Hopefully, you will be able to update Windows soon. It worked for Gaston. :) You can also try to reach out to your IT department and ask them to update the requirements, as it is important to run the latest version of Windows these days. Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Gaston_63: It looks like I missed your message earlier while researching and replying. Just wanted to say thanks for the update, and for taking the time to share what worked for you! :chuffed: :+1:

@Greg, @robcourtney: Not sure if it applies in this case, but Microsoft recently announced opening the Fall Creators Update up for all customers:

So it may not be long at all. Maybe you can use another browser in the mean time though. Cheers! :)

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem, with Edge. I'm as well on WIN10, 1703-release. But it worked fine until a week ago. I see in the messages in this threat that the issue should be solve when WIN10-1709 (Fall Creators Update) would be installed. But I'm using a company-laptop and I don't think they will roll-out 1709 soon.

Do I understand there is no way to solve the issue in WIN10-1703 ? That would be much regrettable :(

Eddy

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eocula: Given the latest news about Meltdown and Spectre, it is important to run the latest version of Windows on your computer, especially if it is a company-laptop. Have you tried to reach out to your IT department regarding this update? Please let us know.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eocula: Indeed, and unfortunately if you're behind that will impact Edge as well. This isn't something we have control over, so the only options are to update or use a different browser. :blush:

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but I find this strange : My Chrome-browser, which is also running in WIN10-1703, is working perfect. So why is Microsoft-Edge is not running perfect as well, under WIN10-1703 ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eocula: I'm not sure we're on the same page then. Edge is supposed to be updated with Windows; Chrome is completely separate, as its a 3rd party app/browser. You shouldn't have any trouble in Chrome so long as you keep it — and 1Password — up to date. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just a quick update here: It's still recommended to update Windows (build 1703 — pre-Fall Creators Update — does not get mitigations for Meltdown or Spectre vulnerabilities), but we're looking to see if there's something we can do on our end to better accommodate for changes in Edge across different versions. Thanks again for bringing this up!

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member
    Options

Hi , I noticed today it works again. And, I saw something else I had an issue with in Edge, is solved as well. So I guess my company has installed or a new release of Edge, or applied some Windows-update. According to what I see in the list of updates in Control Panel, I cannot find anything specific. But I saw on 16th, multiple updates on Office were installed.

Anyway, my Edge version is now .:

Microsoft Edge 40.15063.674.0
    Microsoft EdgeHTML 15.15063

Unfortunately, I did not noted done early this week which release numbers I had. Anyway, my issues is solved, Hopefully it keeps working

Eddy

• @eocula glad it works again, there was an update of 1Password to 6.8.496 on January 18th. It should have fixed Edge connections refusal.

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, that's why it works now :) . I indeed see I have release 6.8.496 now.
    Many thanks !!!!

• @eocula: Always nice to see fixes working in the wild! Glad to hear you're all sorted. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.