Can I export a read-only archive of a vault?

Options

I've currently got two vaults synced to my personal 1Password account. My own data, and an additional vault (let's call it Vault 2) with a bunch of items related to a volunteer group I help with.

Every so often, I distribute a copy (on a USB stick) of the logins from Vault 2 with up-to-date information to other members of the group, so I'm not the only one holding all the keys in case I die or am kidnapped by warlords or move to Mars or something like that. Unlikely, but you never know.

At the moment I'm doing this by having an entirely separate vault in KeyPass, which I can give to them - because it's open source so other members of the group can easily access the data and for free. As you can imagine this is a bit of a pain - when I update it, it means manually copying 30 items or so worth of data over to KeyPass, then distributing the USB stick and master password for KeyPass.

Paying for 1Password for Teams isn't an option either - I don't want to fork out the cost myself, and we have a limited budget that couldn't be spent on it.

What I'm wondering is this:

1. I can't find an option to export an entire vault (I swear it must be there somewhere, I just can't find it on the My 1Password website or in the app on Windows). Is this possible? I don't want to export my own vault, just Vault 2.
  2. Can the Windows and Mac apps be installed for "free" as a read-only access to the vault? This is key for the other members of the group as I don't want to force them to also pay for 1Password (as brilliant as it is!).

Possible? Or not?

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @WilliamTM,

Thanks for writing in.

Select all items in the item list that you want to export and then right-click on them to export it.

In the upcoming release of 1Password 7 for Windows, you will be able to create standalone vaults, which you can then sync to an encrypted OPVault on your drive or to the USB drive (not recommended due to broken sync if it is not connected while 1Password is running) that you can share with your workers and they can always unlock with 1Password 4/6 for macOS/Windows/iOS/Android assuming they know the vault password. There's a free mode in 1Password 4 for Windows that lets you view the vault but you can't make changes after 30 days with an expired trial. It is too soon to know anything about what we're doing for trials in 1Password 7 for all platforms.

We would love to know more about your group and their needs, to see if there's something we can do for volunteers and charities, we are looking into doing something special but it would help us to hear from you directly. Could you reach out to us at sales@agilebits.com with a link to this thread?

• WilliamTM
    WilliamTM
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thanks for the reply! :)

So, from what I understand, in 1Password 6.8 for Windows now, I can only export a .txt or .csv via the right click -> Export method (dunno why I never thought to look there!), but in 1Password 7 I'll be able to export an OPVault?

Being paranoid about security, I don't like the idea of an encrypted txt/csv on a flash drive that can easily be lost, so I'll stick to the KeyPass method for now, but I do look forward to 1Password 7 when it's eventually out!

Also, just to clarify, I still want this data (aka Vault 2) to be in my "My 1Password" account as it makes my life easier having it synced across my devices - so are you saying that, in 1Password 7, I can export stuff from my "My 1Password" account to an OPVault, or that I'd be able to just create a OPVault that I can share, but that is stored locally and isn't synced?

I'll also drop you guys an email regarding the last point. :+1:

• Hi @WilliamTM,

but in 1Password 7 I'll be able to export an OPVault?

Well, it's not exactly an export but yes, you'd be able to copy them to the standalone OPVault stored on your drive with the same 1Password 7 app.

so are you saying that, in 1Password 7, I can export stuff from my "My 1Password" account to an OPVault, or that I'd be able to just create a OPVault that I can share, but that is stored locally and isn't synced?

Correct, you'll be able to create a standalone local vault that's only stored within 1Password 7 on that PC but you can enable the sync option that creates an encrypted OPVault on the drive that 1Password will keep in sync internally (Folder sync). You can put OPVault in any location you want, such as Dropbox folder or even network share or neither. Any changes you make to OPVault (like overwriting from the USB drive), 1Password 7 will detect and merge it into your standalone vault stored in its database. It will not be synced as part of your 1Password account, standalone vaults are separated from anything else.

You can choose to copy/move items from 1Password account to the said standalone as often as you want.

This discussion has been closed.