Change type of information

Options
2629467a
2629467a
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey there,

I often want to change the type of the information I give in a certain entry in 1password. for example, I have a login entry and want to add something like a security code. So I want to change this entry from plain text to "password", so it wont be shown unless I reveal it. But often times there is no way for me to do that. Sometimes there are these circles with 3 dots (see picture below) in them at the end of the line and then I click on them and change it the way I want. But those circles are not always there. Why is that?

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: my.passowrt.com

Comments

• @2629467a: Any time you create a custom field, you should see that icon to allow you to choose its type. When you don't see that icon next to the field, it's either part of the default template (username, password, website, and notes for a Login) or you're looking at the section name or field label text fields which are always just plain text as they're meant for organizing this additional info (if you want) rather than containing actual account information. Otherwise, any field out add should have this option. :+1:

• 2629467a
    2629467a
    Community Member
    Options

okay, so this only works for custom fields? that means I cannot change the type of the fields in the first section?
    for example, I have a login for which I have a password and a passphrase maybe. So i create a custom field named passphrase and change the style to "password". Now I want my passphrase field to be right under the password field, cause to me this is more organized and intuitive. But I cannot move the custom field in the top section? Why can't I change the style for every field or move custom fields everywhere I want to? Why am I forced to use a certain template that isn't explained anywhere nor adjustable?

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @2629467a,

Correct, you can only modify the custom fields you append to the default templates.

The default templates cannot be modified because we need it to be consistent for various features, for an example; your Login items must be formatted specifically to enable filling and/or saving on websites, same for your Credit Cards and Identities. If you customize them, then 1Password extension has no way of knowing what is what and will simply not fill at all.

There are a lot of algorithms we use to support filling various sites (and apps) and the more strict/consistent we make our templates, the better they work.

Custom templates is something we are testing with on 1Password.com Teams, we'd like to expand that feature but it needs more time.

This discussion has been closed.