Automatic 1Password update seem to break 1Pw helper functionality

Options

It seems that my 1Password 7 has tried to an automatic update, but before successfully finishing, it ran into the file-in-use problem described by other users in this forum.
A possibly interesting observation: Clicking 1Password popup menu item in Chrome causes a 1Password Extension tab to be opened, telling that it searches for 1Password Helper, subsequently resulting in a "Couldn't connect to 1Password" message.
This worked perfectly yesterday.
The update error message appeared automatically.
Please advise if there is anything that can be done to make this update succeed or if you need any information from my PC to assist further debugging.

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (10.0.16299)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @MortSkil this does sounds like updater failure, please send us a Diagnostics Report to confirm. To fix you usually just need to run installer again (download from https://1password.com/downloads/ ), possibly after closing browsers/whitelisting it in your antivirus first to avoid conflicts.

• MortSkil
    MortSkil
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded the installer, quit 1Password app, then ran the installer, but the same error dialog box appears.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MortSkil,

Do you happen to have any kind of AV/anti-malware software on your computer? Have you whitelisted 1Password there?

Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• MortSkil
    MortSkil
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

On the computer that I faced the update problem, the corporate Microsoft based antivirus/antimalware software is running. I have no control over it.
    However, I use to have lots of windows open, and do some heavy debugging in Visual Studio 2017, so there are lots of possibilities that problems may arise.
    On my work laptop, the same security/protection software is running, and there 1Password was updated automatically without any problem.
    So now, it works fine on my iPhone, iPad, iMac, tower development PC and laptop (the two latter both running Win10).

Thanks for a great product!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for the kind words, and the update update. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.