I have a secure excel document I want to keep in 1Password and I can't find out how to do it?

Options

I have a secure excel document I want to keep in 1Password and I can't find out how to do it? Once I have it in there will it still need a separate password or will it be protected by the 1password master password? Secondly, how do I backup my 1password data and keep it safe offsite?Many thanks David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a secure excel document I want to keep in 1Password and I can't find out how to do it?

Comments

• davidpenh
    davidpenh
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I am on the latest Windows 10 version and the very latest version 7 1Password software. I sync across all my devices, Windows, Mac, IOS & Android. David

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member
    Options

Open 1Password. Click on new item. Then select document. :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidpenh,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Runamonk is right, you should be able to upload your Excel file as a Document item in 1Password app on your Windows PC. Open and unlock 1Password, click on "+" > Document. This is a special category for your important files. You can upload your documents into that category and then link to the document from the related item. The document will be shown in the item view in "Related items". Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

As for your second question about backups, there are no local backups with 1Password.com accounts, we handle the backups for you on our servers. We have plans to add them in the future, but I do not have any timeframes for you at this point. However, you should not worry about the lack of local backups: if you use the 1Password apps, your data will always be cached locally on your devices, so you can view and edit it without an Internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, we are here for you. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Buzz69
    Buzz69
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg

These are my choices when adding a new item. I don't see document listed, any help? Or do I just add the file to a secure note?

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member
    Options

That looks totally different than mine. What version are you running? Are you doing this from the App or from a browser extension?

• Buzz69
    Buzz69
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@runamonk

1Password 7 Standalone from the desktop app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, that's if you click the New Item button or press Ctrl N. Cheers! :)

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member
    Options

Something is certainly wrong or different between our versions.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Buzz69 and @runamonk,

Sorry for the confusion!

The thing is that Documents category is available in 1Password accounts only. If you are using a local vault, you have Attachments instead. Here is how you can attach a file to your item, @Buzz69:

Please let me know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Buzz69
    Buzz69
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg

I kind of thought it was for accounts and not standalone. I was familiar with adding attachments.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Greg was able to help clear that up. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.