Keyboard-Shortcut to open 1Password with german keyboard

Options
bitbonk
bitbonk
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have an English Windows 10 with a German keyboard and German keyboard settings. When I switch my keyboard settings to English I can press Ctrl+Alt+\ (the keyboard keys on the German keyboard are actually labelled Strg+Alt+-) to open 1Password but when I switch my keyboards settings to German (to match the actual keyboards attached) this does no longer work.
How do I open 1Password on German keyboards?

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @bitbonk,

Thanks for reporting this.

Windows treat AltGr and Control + Alt as the same key, which is problematic on certain keyboards.

In this case, you'd want to change the third key in 1Password settings. To do this, open the main 1Password app, unlock, go to 1Password menu > Settings (or press F9), and in General, change the shortcut to something that works well with AltGR. If I recall correctly, most users selected # instead.

We plan to support full custom keyboard shortcuts for each action in a future update.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

We do that already if your Windows language is set to German (and Spanish/French, defaults to #) but it is far more common to have multiple-keyboard locale users, so we can't simply change it because you change the keyboard, it'd get confusing really quickly.

The proper fix is to let users set their own shortcuts.

This discussion has been closed.