I can not find a previously generated password and neither of the suggestions help

Options
AnneG
AnneG
Community Member

I tried to reset my GMail password and generated a new one with 1Password - it did however not save properly so that I am now logged out of my account. I have tried going through the "Password" section and looked through the dates but haven't been able to find the generated password. Is there any other way to get to it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:generated password find

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AnneG: It sounds like you may have looked already, but there's no harm in trying again, and this guide may help a bit:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

Otherwise, it's hard to say without knowing anything about your setup — the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using — or what you did. Did you maybe save it to a different vault than you thought? Where did you generate the password? In the browser? In the main 1Password window? Let me know.

• AnneG
    AnneG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty, thanks for your response. I have indeed tried the guide already.

I'm using Chrome on OS 10.13.3 and a 1Password7 browser plug-in - I had the password reset-tab of Gmail open, right-clicked on the newly generated password to copy it over and then, when I wanted to use the saved password in my next move, it was the wrong one. -something went wrong in the saving process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AnneG: If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you neither used 1Password to fill the generated password nor pasted it and saved it yourself. If that's the case, there really isn't anything 1Password can do to help. On the off chance you've left something out of your description, I'd encourage you to view the Passwords category in the main 1Password window and click at the top to sort by date to see if you've missed something. But it seems likely that you won't be able to find the password in 1Password, since you never saved it there. I'd still like to know the actual versions you're using and the exact steps to see if there's something we can improve in the future, but this guide will help when you need to change any other passwords:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

I know that doesn't get you the password you already didn't save, but we're here if you have any other questions.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @brenty. Following up on our comments from the other day (in the right place this time)…

I just used the Password Generator on a university site’s “change password” form. It successfully filled in the new password and the change went through, but it’s nowhere to be found in the Passwords category.

1Password offers to update the existing login, but you usually have to make that call before you know if the change is going to go through or not. It’s very common for sites to reject good passwords, so I’ve gotten in the habit of telling 1Password not to update the login, then updating it manually later if the change is accepted. This is harder to do if the password isn’t stored.

I feel like the password generator used to be more promiscuous with what it saved. Has that changed in recent versions?

Safari 11.1.2
    1Password 7.1.1 with extension 4.7.2

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Skurfer - that definitely shouldn't be happening. Not that I doubt what you experienced, just that this is a relatively simple bit of code: if you use the generator, a Password item is saved. It has nothing to do with the submission of the form, and whether 1Password offers to save the Login item -- that sometimes does indeed fail, depending on the make-up of the password change page (it's occasionally just different enough from the login page that it's not recognized). In fact, that's precisely why each generated password is saved: because the offer to save the Login item may not work; we want to have a fail-safe to avoid exactly the situation you're mentioning.

I'm wondering - and forgive me if this is a dumb question - if you clicked the Passwords category in the sidebar, and then sorted by "Date Created" or "Date Modified?" Doing that should give you the most-recent generated (or saved) password; it should be recognizable by URL also that way. Would you be willing to double-check that? Thanks.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Thanks, @Lars

this is a relatively simple bit of code: if you use the generator, a Password item is saved.

That’s what I expect based on past behavior, so that’s good to know at least.

I'm wondering - and forgive me if this is a dumb question - if you clicked the Passwords category in the sidebar, and then sorted by "Date Created" or "Date Modified?”

Fair question, but I usually keep that list sorted by date created. For this month, I just have one entry from the 3rd.

I mentioned in the other thread that when I first discovered this, I had nothing after June 30. (That’s the day I set up a Family plan and upgraded to 7.) Starting on August 29, it seemed to start saving generated passwords again, but I haven’t figured out the exact pattern of what saves and what doesn’t.

For what it’s worth, I just tried using the generator on this page, and that password was saved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Skurfer - it also depends a bit on what you have set in Preferences > Vaults under "Vault for Saving." Sometimes, you can inadvertently have that set to a disused local vault (if you still have any of those), or one you have un-checked in "Show in All Vaults." If that were the case, items would be generated but you would never see them in the All Vaults view, only if you happened to switch intentionally to that specific vault in the vault menu. Could something like that have been possible in your case?

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Well, I am one of those local-vault-only-with-wifi-sync kooks (with minimal exceptions), so I have “Vault for Saving” set to a heavily used local vault, if that matters.

I have two remote vaults (Private and Shared) and one local vault (Primary). Private is empty. (I’m not allowed to delete it or I would.) Primary is the vault for saving as I said, and “All Vaults” includes Primary and Shared. Enabling all of them or selecting them individually doesn’t reveal anything new.

[needle scratch…] I had a lot of detail typed here about how to reproduce this problem, but I think I just figured it out.

I mentioned that I often don’t let 1Password update the existing login, but that doesn’t mean I never do. I noticed that after filling a password from the generator on a site, it did save it in the Passwords category, but after I accepted the suggestion to update the existing account, the generated password disappeared. That must be why I can’t find so many.

That behavior keeps things tidy and makes sense, but it was not obvious what was going on. Thanks for working through it with me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Skurfer - ah, yes -- that will happen if you do allow the update of the Login record to occur. And yes, it's for exactly the reason you say: to keep things tidy (after all, if you've got it recorded in one place - where you expect - it doesn't really add anything to put it in a second place as well). Glad you figured it out! :)

This discussion has been closed.