Cannot switch to 1Password account in 1Password 4 [Need 1Password 7 or later to do this]

Options
meshochanic
meshochanic
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Used to have a local 1password instance on my work Windows PC, now I have personal cloud subscription and want to merge the one on my work laptop to my cloud. Exported to 1pif file but there is NO WAY THIS CAN BE IMPORTED INTO MY CLOUD VAULT?????

The only option left to me seems to re-enter the items one-by-one in my cloud vault - ridiculous. Why bother giving the option to export to 1pif file if it cannot be imported???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot import windows local instance (not cloud) 1pif (1password export) to new cloud subscription

Comments

• meshochanic
    meshochanic
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

OK, I solved my problem. You have to download and install a new version of 1Password on your WIndows PC using the link in your 1 Password online account - when logged in to your 1password account on their website click on your profile top right and click on "Get the apps". Then run the app local on your Windows PC and in that 1Password app do an import to import the data from your old local keychain - select the local keychain where it was under User/[your username]/Documents/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, it will ask for the vault password, supply it and it imports.

• Hi @meshochanic,

Thanks for writing in.

Please check that you can see your data on your 1Password.com website via https://my.1Password.com.

1Password 4 doesn't support 1Password.com memberships, that's why you need to first install 1Password 7 for Windows and then open the same standalone vault from 1Password 4. 1Password 7 will offer to convert it (if it is not using the latest OPVault format) and then when you sign in to your 1Password account, it will ask if you wish to transfer your standalone vault to your 1Password account.

Also, make sure you trash your 1PIF file and then empty the trash, 1PIF is not encrypted or secured. We would never ask you to do an export to switch to a newer version or a separate 1Password product since it is not protected. In order to import 1PIF, you would need to have a vault to import into, so you could either reopen the same standalone vault in 1Password 7 or import 1PIF into your Personal vault in your 1Password account.

This discussion has been closed.