sensitive items in the archive, need to delete them in bulk, how ?

Options

I can delete archive items one at a time. Very tedious if you have several hundred. How do I bulk delete sensitive items ? pretty important feature to me.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:delete archive

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @p2mep2me,

Thank you for getting in touch!

You should be able to select all items in your vault by pressing Ctrl + A in the list of your items, then right-clicking on any item and choosing Move to Trash:

Then you can right-click the Trash icon in the sidebar on the left and select "Empty Trash".

Is this what you want to achieve? Please let me know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• p2mep2me
    p2mep2me
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, If you go to the web interface. Click on the trash icon and in the mid-section of the screen click on the button at the bottom 'view archived items' a long list of archived items come up. I can delete them one by one but cntrl A does not work on this list. This means that the 1password cloud still has a long list of information that I can only delete one line at a time. Is this correct?

On the web interface right clicking on trash does nothing
    The 'View Archived Items' button does not show up on the app on my windows machine. Perhaps I can delete from there if I can figure out how to display it.

Paul

• Hi @p2mep2me,

We may be talking about two separate things; Archived Items are items you have emptied from the Trash. They're backed up in case of you need to restore them later but archived items are automatically deleted after a year depending on your 1Password.com plan. There is no way to empty the entire Archived Items at this moment, you do have to do it one at the time until we can update the web app to support bulk actions.

I can delete them one by one but cntrl A does not work on this list. This means that the 1password cloud still has a long list of information that I can only delete one line at a time. Is this correct?

That is correct, the 1Password.com web app does not support handling bulk actions at the moment.

On the web interface right clicking on trash does nothing

You generally cannot do actions with right-click on the websites, the right-click generally belongs to the browser, not the site itself.

To empty the trash, click Trash on the website and then click the red Empty Trash button on the right like so:

The 'View Archived Items' button does not show up on the app on my windows machine.

View Archived Items is only available on the website as that's where all of the history is stored, we don't download this to your local devices.

• weynhamz
    weynhamz
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Got myself into a similar situation after accidentally importing passwords from LastPass and revert the import, over hundreds of achieved items, and composed a simple iMacro script saved the day. Here it is.

VERSION BUVERSION BUILD=10021450
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TXT:ViewArchivedItems
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=TH ATTR=TXT:DateArchived
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TITLE:Destroy&&CLASS:destroyview-button&&TXT:
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=P ATTR=TXT:Areyousure
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=ID:submit
    WAIT SECONDS=2ILD=10021450
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TXT:ViewArchivedItems
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=TH ATTR=TXT:DateArchived
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TITLE:Destroy&&CLASS:destroyview-button&&TXT:
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=P ATTR=TXT:Areyousure
    TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=ID:submit
    WAIT SECONDS=2

• Hi @weynhamz,

Thanks for helping with that and for adding a delay.

We cannot officially recommend this, of course, but be careful with this as we do have throttling and proactive defenses built-in, so you may get temporarily blocked if you're doing too many events in an hour.

• d_bobby
    d_bobby
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone have a similar way to bulk delete items from the archive for Mac?

As far as I can tell the Archive is the actual Trash and the Trash serves no useful purpose at all, other than making you think you securely erased something.

• Hi @d_bobby,

As far as I can tell the Archive is the actual Trash and the Trash serves no useful purpose at all, other than making you think you securely erased something.

Trash is where you delete items but you haven't emptied the trash. A lot of folks delete items but they don't want it to disappear from their vault, everyone has their own reason.

The Archive is part of the Item History/Backups, it listed all deleted items are emptied from the trash and will be securely removed after a year as part of the Item History feature we provide with 1Password accounts. Think of them as a last chance to recover the data from backups. When you delete the items from Archive, they're gone from all backups with zero chance to recover it.

When you securely delete items from standalone vaults, they're not removed in backups either, so they'll be phased out in time when the oldest backup no longer have that item in trash.

• d_bobby
    d_bobby
    Community Member
    Options

You make a valid point, that items emptied from the Trash in the standalone version may still remain in backups, however one superior feature of the standalone vs subscription is that you can delete entire backups easily. If the 1Password.com interface worked as say an OS does, you would delete an item from a vault and it would go straight to the "Archive" which then could be emptied either in one step or items contained within individually- whichever the user prefers.

The way it is now in the subscription model, there is no way to "empty" the archive other than doing things one item at a time. I agree that the user is relatively safe from losing things unintentionally, but why does that have to be at the expense of wanting to intentionally and permanently delete all items that were "trashed"? Seems unnecessarily restrictive and like the standalone setup is superior in terms of being able to do exactly what the user wants, in my opinion.

[empty trash] is a pretty fundamental and purposefully available function in computing and data management. It's strange that it's missing in such an otherwise well thought out application.

• Hi @d_bobby,

[empty trash] is a pretty fundamental and purposefully available function in computing and data management. It's strange that it's missing in such an otherwise well thought out application.

Unfortunately, you have no idea how many times people have lost their data this way and write in to us about getting it back.

We're very cautious about making things too easy to delete data, it is safer this way.

• d_bobby
    d_bobby
    Community Member
    Options

Why have the system designed to invite such carelessness with standalone vaults then? There's not even a single written warning or extra click involved in wiping out all items in a backup there.

On 1P accounts, is there no middle ground? How about 10 giant red warning dialogs in increasing font size giving fair warning to the user that "empty archive" is irreversible? That would still be several thousand fewer clicks than what I'm confronted with at the moment, wanting to empty it. It's easier to delete your entire 1Password account (including all vaults and backups) than to empty the archive, isn't that a little out of proportion?

• d_bobby
    d_bobby
    Community Member
    Options

PS- is emptying my archive something you guys can do for me on your end? Just trying to find any solution here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Why have the system designed to invite such carelessness with standalone vaults then?

@d_bobby: It isn't. You have to confirm emptying the Trash.

There's not even a single written warning or extra click involved in wiping out all items in a backup there.

Local backups are stored in the file system. 1Password can't stop people (or other software) from deleting those no matter what. Sorry.

On 1P accounts, is there no middle ground? How about 10 giant red warning dialogs in increasing font size giving fair warning to the user that "empty archive" is irreversible? That would still be several thousand fewer clicks than what I'm confronted with at the moment, wanting to empty it. It's easier to delete your entire 1Password account (including all vaults and backups) than to empty the archive, isn't that a little out of proportion?

I wouldn't say it's easy, but certainly if there's enough interest in a "bulk delete archived items" option it may be something we can add in the future. It's probably not something we can justify working on for just a handful of people though.

PS- is emptying my archive something you guys can do for me on your end? Just trying to find any solution here.

It isn't. We don't have access to delete data from users' vaults.

This discussion has been closed.