When does 1Password store its password in the cloud?

Options

This morning I generated a new password using 1Password for Windows. I then cycled to work with my MacBook and expected to find the new password in 1Password for MacOS, but it wasn't there.

How can you verify that a new password has been stored in the 1Password cloud?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password cloud

Comments

• Hi @wesselt,

Thanks for writing in.

In 1Password on the PC, do you see any disconnected cloud icon in the titlebar or Offline Changes on the sidebar? We usually give you a few hints that it is not syncing.

The center source of your 1Password data is on your 1Password site at https://my.1Password.com. That determines what all apps should be syncing with. If you don't see the new password on the site, it means PC didn't upload it. If you do, then the Mac hasn't downloaded it yet.

Can you tell me what you see?

• wesselt
    wesselt
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply. The new password is not on the my.1Password.com site. I'll come back and post what I see on my PC when I return from work.

• Hi @wesselt,

If you come back and find that it is not syncing, please do send us your 1Password diagnostics report; use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Also, do you use VPN or proxy or anything like that on your PC?

• wesselt
    wesselt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I just logged in to Windows and the item is now on my.1Password.com. There's no icon in the titlebar (other than Lock) and there's no "Offline Changes" in the sidebar.

The item on my.1Password.com has a created and last modified date of before I left for work.,, does that mean anything?

I do use several proxies in FireFox, but the system proxy is not set. The password was generated in the full 1Password app, not in 1Password mini.

At least I know to check my.1Password.com if there's a critical password I've just created :blush: Thanks for the help!

• @wesselt: Ideally, syncing should be near instantaneous. You save the item, it goes up to 1Password.com, then when you unlock on other devices, it syncs right up for you. In practice, though, there are things that can get in your way. Consider saving an item on your phone and then entering a cell phone black hole right after. That password is unfortunately not going anywhere for a bit.

In your specific case, Mike brought up a good tip – any time that you see that cloud icon with a slash through it in your Windows app or an offline changes section, that means the item hasn't synced. If neither of those is present, it likely made it to 1Password.com, but you can always sign in via your browser to make sure if it's something super important. Even once it gets to 1Password.com, though, it has to make it to your Mac. It should sync up when you unlock, but if your Mac is like mine, it takes its sweet time connecting to wifi when you first open the darned lid and might take a bit. If you know it made it to 1Password.com, though, you at least know you will have a way to find it from any device on the rare occasion sync isn't quite so instantaneous as we'd like. 👍

This discussion has been closed.