Windows 10 Taskbar Shortcut Stops Working After Restart

Options

Everytime I need to restart or shut down my computer, the 1password shortcut on my taskbar stops working. It will lose the icon, and when I try to access the app I get an error. I can still access the app through the start menu, but it's a workaround I feel like I shouldn't have to make.

I have tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling, but it only fixes the issue until I have to restart the next time.

Please let me know if I'm somehow making the shortcut incorrectly or if there's something I'm doing wrong. When I have downloaded the application and it booted up the first time, that's when I have been creating the taskbar shortcut but just clicking "pin to taskbar."

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 17134.441
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:windows 10 taskbar shortcut restart

Comments

• dwilson212
    dwilson212
    Community Member
    Options

Leaving some additional information:
    1) After initial installation, taskbar icon works properly. Clicking taskbar icon does not spawn new icon and it does not result in any errors.
    2) After restart, clicking taskbar icon spawns a new icon, so I have two 1Password icons taking up space on the taskbar.
    3) If I try unpinning them from the taskbar and pinning again from the actual 1Password program, I get an error saying "The file cannot be accessed by the system."
    4) if I try unpinning and then pinning again from the start menu shortcut, I get a the duplicate icon issue again.
    5) Only way to restore regular shortcut behavior is to uninstall and re-install.

I know this is a very specific issue and one that doesn't really affect usability of the app, but in my workflow I prefer to have the taskbar shortcut working properly. Thanks for the support!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwilson212,

Thank you for your detailed report! This behaviour is quite strange. Could you please specify the following:

1) What error message you see when you try to open 1Password from Taskbar icon after restart?

2) Do you have any kind of AV/anti-malware software installed on your PC?

This additional info will be quite helpful. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    GReg

• dwilson212
    dwilson212
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,

Thank you for the prompt response! So the error code I'm getting states the following:

"C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\1Password.lnk

The File cannot be accessed by the system."

And yes I do! I'm running Malwarebytes Premium. I got that and 1Password through Eero Plus just recently.

Thank you so much!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @dwilson212,

It seems that something is going wrong with your system. Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and and check if the issue with icon remains there?

Also, please specify if 1Password is the only app that you have these icon troubles with. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• dwilson212
    dwilson212
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

I rebooted into safe mode with networking and opened up 1Password and the icon DID NOT duplicate. However I did get a different error that I’m attaching as an image. It looks like it was an error with the 1Password extension.

After I left safe mode, I I tried opening up 1Password via the taskbar and the icon DID duplicate.

Also, 1Password is the only app I am having troubles with.

• @dwilson212: I wonder if perhaps you have an extra copy of 1Password somewhere on your system. A shortcut is, after all, just a link that points to a specific location on your filesystem and if's not pointing to quite the right thing you could end up with strange behavior indeed. The best explanation I can think up is something about how or where you installed 1Password or interference from an extra copy may be causing that link not to point where it needs to. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Don't post the diagnostics here, but do attach them to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and include a link to this discussion in the body of your e-mail, in case someone else finds it before me. This will allow us to look for potential setup issues or see if perhaps Malwarebytes is in some way interfering.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :+1:

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• dwilson212
    dwilson212
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Here is my support ID number: [#DDA-17814-251]

And that would be odd if I somehow had an extra copy. I downloaded it straight from the 1Password site and got the extension via the Windows Store. Though, weirdly enough, it didn't duplicate this time when I opened the app to run the diagnostic (though it did earlier today).

Looking forward to seeing the diagnosis!

• dwilson212
    dwilson212
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to run another diagnostic because the issue didn't happen when I tried the last time, and I think I may have found something. First, here is the second diagnostic support ID: [#TUL-18853-417]. This was run WHILE I was having the duplicate icon issue.

Second, I think I may have found an issue? It seems like when I'm trying to open up 1Password after a restart, it is opening up a second version of the application stored in this location:
    C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Packages\DC5C6510.1PASSWORD_2v019pwa6amcg\LocalCache\Local\1password\app\7. I tried pinning the second icon to the taskbar as well and then found where the shortcut was linked to.

Is this normal behavior? I looked at the second version of the application and it is the exact same size and was created at the same time as, what I assume, is the regular version of the location at this location: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\1password\app\7

I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thank you!

• We've had a few back and forths today, @dwilson212, so I'll keep things brief here and just say thank you for all of your help as we try to track this down. To keep things tidy, though, let's stick to e-mail moving forward. We've been lucky thus far that I've been popping into the forum and able to reply, but we might confuse others who lack context if we keep doing this, so I'll see you in your inbox and we'll keep working there. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.