Does 1Password need to be open on PC for extension to work in browser?

Options

I have the Chrome extension installed on my work computer that my IT department staff has access to at any given time. Does the desktop app need to remain open at all times for the extension to work? I just want to ensure that if my IT department had remote to my computer they wouldn't have automatic access to my 1Password. Do I need to lock the desktop app each and every time I use the extension? Or, am I just being paranoid?

1Password Version: 7.5.581
Extension Version: Beta
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does 1Password need to be open on PC for extension to work in browser?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Maquilter,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

Could you please tell me which 1Password extension you have on your computer? Is it 1Password extension 4.7.3.90 or 1Password X 1.12.3?

The thing is that our standard extension (4.7.3.90) is connected to 1Password 7 app that you have installed on your computer, so if you unlock the app, the extension will unlock too (and vice versa). 1Password X works entirely in your browser, so it won't unlock, if you unlock 1Password 7 app.

Let me know if it helps. I will be looking forward to your reply. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Maquilter
    Maquilter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    I was using an older version. I updated to version X. So, does that mean I can remove the desktop app? Thanks so much for your quick response to my question.

• @Maquilter: It absolutely does. 1Password X works all on its own, no desktop app required. I mean, you can keep it if you want, but you don't have to. As for protecting things from IT, I'd suggest as short an auto-lock timer as you are comfortable with. 1Password X will lock any time you close your browser, but like the desktop app and the standard extension, it stays unlocked for a time otherwise so depending on your level of concern about IT needing to remote in, a shorter auto-lock timer would make more work for you, but also make it more likely 1Password is locked at any given time. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.