Edge Browser Extension does not open within Edge

Options
burrowsUW
burrowsUW
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The browser extension in Edge shows up in the ribbon, but when I click on it nothing shows up (the window does not open).

The issue appears to be related to the "suspended" statua of Edge and/or the 1Password extension. I have exerimented with using the Task Manager to end one or both of the suspended UWP apps and sometimes that temporarily resolves the behavior. However, I have not been able to pin down the exact pattern of ending tasks that resolves the issue.

Right now (as I type within Edge), neither the Edge task or the 1Password Extension task are suspended. However, clicking on the extension icon on the ribbon is not showing the extension window. I am experiencing this behavior on both my desktop and laptop machines.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 7.2.583
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Edge Browser

Comments

• mruss
    mruss
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue on two laptops and one desktop, all with Windows 10 and 1Password 7.3.657.
    When I had similar issues I was able to make it working by restarting processes, but now it always happens, also when I just rebooted the PC.
    Any info would be really appreciated.

• Hey, @burrowsUW and @mruss! Most of the time, these sorts of issues are, in one way or another, connected to the shifting state of these processes between suspended and active. In theory, Edge is not supposed to launch our helper processes until it becomes active, but we've found that's not the case for some folks, particularly those with Edge as their default browser. A good first test, to narrow down culprits, is to set a different default browser, reboot, then launch Edge. Does that work any better for y'all? I'm not suggesting this be permanent, but it's something that will help us better understand what's going on under the hood. Thanks! :chuffed:

• mruss
    mruss
    Community Member
    Options

I see that all the processes 1Password* are Running and not Suspended.
    If I kill 1Password* processes, then they are started again from Edge when I click on the 1Password button in the toolbar.
    Is that of any help? It is complex for me to change defaults and reboot today.

• burrowsUW
    burrowsUW
    Community Member
    Options

I set Opera as my default browser and rebooted. I confirmed that Opera was the default, then I opened Edge. The 1PW extension icon was there but clicking on it did not open the window as expected. So changing the default browser did not correct the issue.

• @mruss There are a lot of moving parts here, but that does help. It seems to suggest the problem is likely the main app and not the Edge-related processes. That said, did killing them and having them restart correct the problem or were you still having trouble in Edge?

@burrowsUW: Curious. Your problem is a bit less clear to me. Usually, when restarting the 1Password processes doesn't work, that means the main app is potentially crashing at startup, but those crashes are much less common without Edge as default (generally, anyway). I'd like to take a look at some logs from you. Could you create a Diagnostics Report from your PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Attach your diagnostics to an e-mail to support+windows@1password.com and I'll take a peek. If you share your support ID here, I can find it quicker rather than waiting for it to reach the top of my inbox, so feel from to drop that here when you get it. :+1:

• burrowsUW
    burrowsUW
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I have created the diagnostic file and emailed it to you.

thanks

[Updated by MikeT: Don't include your email address here]

• mruss
    mruss
    Community Member
    Options

No, the Edge extensions is not working anymore.
    Since I installed the 7.3.567 version I've never seen the Edge extension working. The extension version is 7.2.583.

• numpty
    numpty
    Community Member
    Options

would like to add my 2c here as well - I have the same issue as burrows.
    The Edge extension hasn't worked for me for some time. I have Firefox setup as the default browser.
    I'll see if ending processes helps tonight.

• burrowsUW
    burrowsUW
    Community Member
    Options

My support I'd is [#FRJ-58978-814]

bill burrows

• Hi guys,

@burrowsUW, we got the email and will reply there as soon as possible.

@numpty, you said for some time, do you recall if it stopped working before the 7.3 update? I want to make sure this is not specific to 1Password 7.3 update but so far, we have not see any spikes of 7.3 breaking anything with Edge's support, which is expected since we haven't changed anything with regards to Edge.

@numpty and @mruss;

Please try the following;

1. Check for Windows updates, install any updates and reboot. Sometime pending Windows updates can break things like this.
    2. Check Control Panel > Uninstall a program, make sure only 1Password version is installed.
    3. If that didn't work, uninstall 1Password extension in Edge, reboot (since you can't restart Edge cleanly) and re-install it. This helps some users.

The slightly good news is that Microsoft has decided to replace Edge with a whole new browser that's a full desktop app and not a Windows Store app anymore. This means that once that is out later this year, it should work the same way as Firefox and Chrome does, no more UWP lifecycle issues and we can get rid of the custom 4-process system we have for Edge to reuse the same system in Firefox/Chrome.

• mruss
    mruss
    Community Member
    Options

Reinstalling 1Password extension in Edge made the job done - thanks!

• Please let us know if it stops working again, thanks!

• numpty
    numpty
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I'm not sure when it started to be unresponsive, sorry. It may have been pre 7.3, but i can't be sure as I use Edge for (literally) 1 website.
    Just as murphy dictates, it worked first time last night after initial pc start-up.
    Trying again this morning, it didn't but after force quitting the extension & edge, and restarting edge it worked happily again.

Windows is up to date, I'll try reinstalling the extension.

• Thanks for the extra details, let us know how it turns out.

This discussion has been closed.