Problem with conversion from V4 to V7

Options

When Chrome v72 came out, my extension quit working. After getting the scoop from tech support here, I decided it was wisest to upgrade. I saved all my backups to an extra location to be safe. When I did the upgrade, the V7 installer wanted to be pointed to a folder. When I tried pointing to my backups, it looked like all of the backups were gone. I was pretty panicky. I saw that there were 2 agilekeychain folders so I picked the one with the most recent date (not very recent). The upgrade seemed to go ok. But, as I am now painfully discovering, I have out-of-date passwords. This is not a very good situation as I change my passwords most often on sites I also need the most.

The almost-encouraging news is that I now can see my v4 backups - they weren't actually deleted. I guess the installer didn't want to use them.

Can something be done so that I can use my most recent V4 backup in my shiny new V7 app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wfelton
    wfelton
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, I have been holding on to my lifetime purchase of version 4 for myself and my wife for a while but I see the upgrades by agile and we have finally decided to make the commitment to a yearly subscription because 1password V4 is my all time favorite program that I use all the time. But after trying to simply download and install V7 I am running for the hills. I see nothing but problems with this upgrade. Here is the first of what I now assume to be a host of problems that I might experience from this upgrade process.
    https://youtu.be/Leq_DzPgsuo

I have been an avid Agile follower for over ten years and I hope that this upgrade does not send me to other solutions.
    Please help me at least see if I can install the V7 windows version so I can see if this will work.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CarloCuneo,

It is Greg again, the same Greg that answered your email today. :) I am sorry for these ongoing troubles with 1Password.

Do you still have your local vault folders (not vault backups), which you used in 1Password 4? Please check your computer for .agilekeychain or .opvault files, as you should be able to open them in 1Password 7 for Windows without restoring your old backups. Let me know what you find.

@wfelton: There is a known issue with the installer. Is this the first time you're installing 1Password 7.3 on this computer? Did you ever install 1Password 6 before and uninstalled it? Please try to do the following now:

1) Download 1Password 7.2 from here.

2) Launch this 7.2 installer.

If it works, open 1Password 7.2, set it up, unlock and go to the 1Password menu. It should have an update to 1Password 7.3. Let me know if it works. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: PZJ-51481-685

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Greg. I found the .agilekeychain.zip files in my \backup folder. This is the name of the one that looks like it was made right before the upgrade (it seems to keep making them since):

1password 2 2019-01-31 070952 (135 items).agilekeychain.zip

• Hey, @CarloCuneo! I hate to do this to you, but it might be best to move things back to e-mail here since looking at some diagnostics can be helpful for these things. Before we do that, though, do you still have 1Password 4 installed, by chance? 1Password 7 doesn't overwrite 1Password 4 at all, so I'm hoping you do and we can take a look at some diagnostics from 1Password 4 to determine which vault it has been using and where that vault is located. It sounds like you may have had some extras that are outdated and the fact that backups continue to be created almost certainly means 1Password 4 is still active as 1Password 7 doesn't create these sorts of backups since it doesn't use Agile Keychain format vaults.

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Kate! Yes, V4 is still installed. I'm happy to work via email. Do you want to write me there? I assume you have it, but if not, Greg responded directly to me there so he should.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CarloCuneo: I just sent you the email with the instructions on how to share a Diagnostics Report with us. Let's continue our conversation via email. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

Will do, thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CarloCuneo: :+1: