2 factor and 1Password fat client

Options

I turned on 2-factor authentication. Should my fat-client 1Password program be prompting me for a 2-factor code? It is not.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @robertp33! 1Password will only prompt you for 2FA when you're authenticating a new app or device with the server. The vast majority of what you do with 1Password from day-to-day happens locally instead since it's encryption instead of authentication. You're not talking to the server at all when you unlock 1Password, for example. You're just giving 1Password the Master Password it needs to decrypt your data and unlock your vault. If you were to install 1Password on a new PC and sign in, then you would be prompted for 2FA. You can learn more about authentication and encryption with 1Password here:

https://support.1password.com/authentication-encryption/

Although I don't believe 2FA for 1Password is specifically addressed in that article, I've always found an understanding of that difference helps me better understand why 2FA works the way it does with your apps. Hopefully you'll find the same is true for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.