Feedback on 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 migration

Options

Comments

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    Options

Just a tip but i think you guys need to bring someone in that has not been around 1password7 before, its clear from the amount of people getting confused about migrating over from version 4 that its a bit confusing...to you guys, the devs, it must seem really easy to go through 1password7 installer, migrate the vault and be up and running, that's because you have been living and breathing the app for years...you need a fresh pair of eyes to rewrite the installer so that EVERYBODY understands it... I have been a user since version 1, I managed to install with no problems but I did find it confusing.
    I got my Dad to try installing 7 and there is no way he would have managed it if i hadn't been there...well he would have installed it but he wouldn't have had the right vault...dont get me wrong, im not saying its impossible to install, it just needs a few more pointers...its the same with the setting pages, you can tell a dev that has been around the app for a long time wrote them

• Hi @res1492,

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.

We do agree that it could be better and will be better. As you may have seen in some of our replies, 1Password 6/7 was never designed nor built to be an upgrade to 1Password 4 directly. 1Password 6 was originally built to support 1Password.com memberships only first (while co-existing with 1Password 4 for standalone vaults) and then we finally added standalone vaults in the 1Password 7.0 release but 1Password 7 only supports OPVault format, which 1Password 4 mostly supported the older AgileKeychain format. We just hadn't had the chance to optimize the upgrade experience for 1Password 4 because we're still working on improving 1Password first.

The reason all of this started was because of a recent Chrome change that 1Password 4 stops supporting which we didn't anticipate because they don't change the signing code certificate for many years and then a regression in 1Password 7.3 update we just released last month where certain old databases can cause 1Password to crash, which made this even worse experience for our 1Password 4 customers.

We will improve this as fast as we can.

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    Options

yeah i understand ...thanks for explaining

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.