How to upgrade to 1Password 7 from 1Password 4 [Resolved]

Options
gorham
gorham
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm not sure whether this is category Windows or Beta; I'm straddling the two! I was all set to ask a totally different question when I saw Mike's post on v. 7. I'd seen it before but decided, since it could be used in my preferred stand alone version, that I'd try it. Mistake I guess. I couldn't get past the secret key field on the install page and couldn't find a sync folder. I didn't want the trial account because I don't want a monthly account. Okay. I can live with v. 4 and was about to give up when I found that my Firefox (v. 65.0.1) extension had already be upgraded to v. 7 and now, of course, doesn't work with my console. I depend on the extension and hope the fix to take it back will work. By the way, Firefox still shows my extension version is 4.7.3.90. I wish that were true! Anyway, ... help? Thanks much as usual.

-G.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 7.3.661 ?
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Extension upgraded to v7 but I can't upgrade program itself

Comments

• Hi @gorham,

Thanks for writing in.

When you install 1Password 7, all of the browser extensions will connect to the running 1Password 7 process to show its mini. The 1Password extension does not have its own UI or data, it connects to the running 1Password process; so if 1Password 4 was running at the time, the extension will connect to that to show 1Password 4's mini.

Here's how to open your existing vault in 1Password 7:

Open 1Password 7 and click Folder Sync, select the 1Password vault from 1Password 4; it could be either 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault. The default location without syncing is in your Documents > 1Password directory.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. As usual, you nailed it! The console is huge! I can't find preferences to verify the extensions. Firefox's extension isn't working. It seems v. 4 is still working also. Not the extension obviously but the console. Is it supposed to be that way?

-G.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @gorham,

When you said console, are you referring 1Password mini that you get when you click on 1Password icon in your web browser or the main 1Password desktop? You can reduce the font size in 1Password 7 via the View menu (Control +/-) to increase the text density a bit.

The details about the extensions are in 1Password menu > Settings (F9) > Browsers, you can scroll down to see what's connected and there's a button on to install the browser extension.

You may have to uninstall 1Password 4 via Control Panel and reboot, 1Password 4 and 7 doesn't fully co-exist. Uninstalling 1Password 4 won't remove the data, so you can reinstall later if you want.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Sorry to confuse. For me, the "console" is the main window. Which will take getting used to but I will. Uninstalling v. 4 and rebooting did the trick.

OK. I see the settings option now. Mike, is there any way to kill keyboard shortcuts altogether. My hands don't work very well and have been known (lots) to hit wrong keys. I'd rather just use the mouse.

Anyway, one doesn't realize how dependent one is until it goes away. Probably true for a lot of things, huh?

Thanks again ∞.

-G.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @gorham,

Yes, go to 1Password menu > Settings > General. You can change all shortcuts to Disabled like so:

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect! Thanks.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

If I could close this, marked as solved, I would. 8-)

• Hi @Gorham,

You're absolutely welcome.

There is no need to close or mark as resolved here, it's not that kind of ticketing system but we always encourage you to let us know if there's anything else we can do to help, this is more of a community than just a support forum.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

• 👍😸

This discussion has been closed.