Google Chrome: 1Password X vs. Browser Extension?

Options
parekh
parekh
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Fellow Windows users -- which browser extension do you prefer to use for your main computer: Google Chrome: 1Password X vs. Browser Extension?

I recently upgraded from a stand-alone Windows license to a 1Password account, so for the first time I have the option of using 1PasswordX, and I'm trying to figure out if it has any advantages for me. Thanks! :)

Assumptions:

• You have a 1Password account
  • You have 1Password 7 for Windows already installed
  • Your main browser is Google Chrome

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

If you want to use the Windows app together with the extension in the browser - what you should definitely do - then the legacy browser extension is the right choice for you. Together they work as a team.

1Password X actually does not work together with the Windows app. It makes sence to use 1Password X when you are not able to use the Windows app. Here you only have to install 1Password X in your browser and you are ready go.

For me it works as follows:
    At home I'm using the 1Password Windows app and the Vivaldi browser in Windows 10 with the legacy extension installed. When creating new logins or changing / deleting them I'm able to do this directly in 1Password Windows app or go via extension into the Windows app to work there.
    At my office I'm not allowed to install software. I'm only able to install extensions in Firefox browser. And that's why I'm using 1Password X only. If I want to create or change a login 1Password X directly opens the web frontend from 1Password.

Actually there is a beta version for 1Password X which works together with the Mac app. Support for the Windows app is planned.
    (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101231/introducing-desktop-app-integration-for-mac)

That's it... Hope this helps. ;)

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi guys,

For now, I use the regular 1Password extension because of the lack of universal unlock and Windows Hello support in 1Password X but that'll be addressed soon when we add the 1Password X's desktop app integration support to 1Password 7 on Windows as well.

DenalB pretty much got it all and I'll expand with more details;

The regular 1Password extension doesn't have their own UI or data, instead they "extend" the desktop app to support filling/saving in your browser. 1Password extension connects to the running 1Password desktop app and 1Password app will bring up its own native UI for when you need to fill or save; that's how unlocking is consistent and Windows Hello works as well.

1Password X is a whole different ball game, in this case, it does have its own built-in UI and locally hosted database that the web browser handles for you, so no desktop app is required. This means you could use it on work computers where you cannot install desktop apps and it can be used on all platforms where Chrome or Firefox can run; such as Chrome OS, Linux, and other OSes where we don't have a native 1Password app for yet.

However, there is no way for the browser extensions to use standalone vaults because it requires file system access to a folder on your disk and browsers aren't really wanting to do that due to sandboxing and other security restrictions. That's why 1Password X is limited to 1Password.com members only. In addition, browser extensions can't run outside of the browser, so once you close the last window/tab, 1Password X is closed.

Now, as DenalB also pointed out, we're working on adding desktop app integration to 1Password X where it did the same as 1Password regular extension, connects to the desktop app to sync universal unlock state and editing support, where you're no longer pushed to the website for that; you'll manage everything in the desktop app. This also means that if you close Chrome and re-open, the extension will be unlocked as it'll talk to the desktop app.

The biggest benefit of 1Password X is that because of its built-in UI and database, it can be more deeply integrated and more fancy as well; for an example, when you select an item to fill in quickly with the dropdown, 1Password X can quickly fill the password on a second page and TOTP as well without you selecting again; it just works.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT for these information! :)

• You're welcome!

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the replies! :) I'm actually enjoying the improved UI of 1PX even for the use case described in my OP. Closing Chrome is a non-issue for me, because I never close Chrome!

• :+1: No problem.

This discussion has been closed.