How to create a login that has more than 2 login fields

Options

I'm having trouble with a particular login that requires 3 credentials. It's www.aa.com (American Airlines). You need 3 pieces of information to login to your account, and so far, I've been unable to get 1Password to correctly fill out all 3. You need an AAdvantage # or Username, Your Last Name, and Your Password. How do I set up this particular login to work so I don't have to manually copy one of the 3 fields every time I login? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sync Type: Paid Subscription
Referrer: forum-search:multiple login fields

Comments

• Hi @SunDevil2213,

Thanks for writing in.

We have a known issue with aa.com right now but the good news is that we've already fixed it in the 1Password 7.3.661 beta update, you can give it a try if you want.

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT I'll wait for it to roll out non-beta. It's a PITA to get updates installed on my corporate computer (no admin rights), so less updating for me, the better. Thus I'll grin and bear it until then.

• I understand.

Note that 1Password doesn't require admin rights, is your IT department installing 1Password for you?

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT It's a corporate computer and any .exe files that try to run are stopped by Bit9 CarbonBlack blocker. Any request to run .exe files must go through a system of social whitelisting before they are released to be run on the client machine.

• Cool, thanks for the details!

• ValR
    ValR
    Community Member
    Options

LaQuinta is a similar site requiring multiple fileds to login. Is there a fix?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ValR,

Please try to create a Login item for LaQuinta manually and tell me if it works for you after that. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    Options

Do you guys have an update on 1P working on AA.com? I just tried the steps outlined in an old thread about the issue (basically saving the login manually from the login page), and it did not work. Running 1P 7.3.657. It's still putting my last name in the AAdvantage or Username field (should be putting my AAdvantage number), password in the correct field, and leaving my last name out of the last name field.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @SunDevil2213,

Can you try 1Password 7.3.661 beta here and let me know if it is working better? That beta has a lot of improvements with filling and saving due to an updated 1Password Brain library.

• Manta230
    Manta230
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a related issue with AA's sites (on a Mac). (I'm not in a hurry and can wait until the latest version is out of beta.)

Aside from the issue where 1Password doesn't fill in the Last Name field on aa.com as addressed above, I've also noticed that when I autofill on AA's Business Extra site (https://www.businessextra.com/login.htm) using the same aa.com Login item, my AAdvantage # populates the Last Name field instead of the "AAdvantage # or Username" field.

BTW, I'm loving the updates in 7.3!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Manta230: This is the thread about 1Password 7 for Windows, not Mac. Sorry for the confusion.

1Password 7.3 for Mac has been released yesterday. Do you still have issues with it? Have you tried to create your Login items for AA's websites manually?

Please let me know. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Manta230
    Manta230
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the mix-up.

The issue I'm having was present before version 7.3. I just didn't know if the problem is with the way AA coded their Business Extra website or something on 1Password's end. I'm currently using a single Login item for both aa.com and businessextra.com (with both websites listed in the entry). I did try to create a separate Login item for the Business Extra site manually, but 1Password is storing my last name in the username field instead of my AAdvantage #.

• One of the primary issues with AA is that each of their various sign-in pages tend to be just enough different to trip things up and I'm not entirely certain there is a way to make each of them fill properly with a single Login. I want to say Citibank is another that causes similar issues. If there is a way to make these work perfectly, @littlebobbytables is the one I always go crying to when a fussy site is giving me trouble, so I'm gonna summon him and see if he has any wisdom to share. I know for certain he has a trick on Mac and he may have a way to make this work on Windows as well. He's on the other side of the world from me so might be a bit, but I've yet to find a case where his advice wasn't worth the wait. :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Manta230,

Damn, that's a lot of high praise so the pressure is on to deliver. Is this what having a reputation feels like?

Let's see if the following helps.

1. Save this 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop. The file should end in .1pif, if you see .txt please alter the filename accordingly.
    2. For 1Password for Mac Drag the 1PIF file to the 1Password icon in the macOS dock to import into the active vault. If All Vaults is active it will use the default vault for saving (Vaults tab in 1Password's preferences). For 1Password for Windows select the menu option 1Password > Import and then select the 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF) option and follow the prompts.
    3. Locate the imported item, it will have a tag with the import date.
    4. Enter edit mode and replace the placeholder values with your real account credentials. You will find a custom field for your last name.
    5. Save.

I've set this item up with URLs for the three pages I'm now aware of, I hadn't heard of the business specific one until today so that's something new for me. You can delete any of the URLs you won't use. I've also set up the item to select the remember me checkbox. If you don't want it ticked then you'll want to do the following.

1. Enter edit mode again.
    2. For 1Password for Mac click the View Saved Form Details button to reveal the entry for the remember me checkbox and untick the checkbox. For 1Password for Windows click the Show web form details button and delete the from the field.
    3. Save.

The reason for having the remember me checkbox set is because I figure it's a lot easier to delete the character in 1Password for Windows than add it as it doesn't display an actual checkbox like it does on the Mac. I've tested this item with the current version of both 1Password for Mac and Windows so it should work everywhere. If you have any trouble please let me know. The best way is to notify me like Kate did by using the @littlebobbytables. I hope this helps.

• Manta230
    Manta230
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables, it worked! I did notice some odd behavior though.

I imported the file above into one vault but kept my original in a separate vault so that I could make the same changes to my original login item and make sure it works the same as the imported one.

After updating the fields so that the two login items are identical (except for the tags), I noticed the following (in Mac OS 10.14.5 and Safari 12.1.1).

• While the password on the original login item scored an "Excellent" the imported login item with the same password scored "Terrible"
    • When I go to aa.com, both login items work as expected.
    • For both login items, when I open a new tab and go to businessextra.com, click Login at the top and then use the keyboard shortcut to autofill the form, the 1Password extension pops up and asks me to select a login item. If I click off the extension window to make it go away and then use the keyboard shortcut again, the form autofills. (I can't reproduce this every time but I have been able to reproduce it several times.)
    • When I use the the original login item on the Business Extra site, it still enters the username in the Last Name field (even though it's fine on aa.com). The imported login item works fine on the Business Extra site (aside from what I mentioned in the previous bullet).

I'm OK with deleting my original login item, replacing it with the imported one, and considering the matter resolved, but I'm also curious to know what's causing the difference in behavior in case I need to create a similar kind of login in the future.

• On the password strength front, @Manta230, that's because you copied/pasted a password from an existing item. It's reused (at the moment) and thus terrible. With the caveat that password strength calculations are complicated and I'm far from perfect at predicting them, the strength of that password should improve when you remove the old Login item. That said, it still may be rated a bit lower than it was. 1Password detects whether or not you generated a password and docks it points if you didn't. Even if you did actually generate this password in the original item, 1Password can't tell when copy/paste from that item into a new one that the original you copied was generated, so it won't give the new item's password those bonus points. I hope that makes sense, but if the strength rating still seems off after nixing the old item, let me know.

As for the sometimes showing mini rather than filling directly, it might be that the page hasn't fully loaded at first so the URL isn't being read properly off the bat, but that's just a guess. You might try opening that page and either waiting a short time or trying to fill as soon as you see the fields and see if the timing of your fill has an impact on whether you can reproduce it. Filling looks like a simple process, but there are a lot of little things that need to go right for everything to work exactly as intended, so there are a few possibilities for hiccups along the way and load times are a big one in my experience.

A bit of guesswork there, but hopefully it helps. I'm also glad @littlebobbytables was able to help. I didn't mean to put him on the spot, but he does have a reputation, so I guess that's what he gets. :wink: Hopefully he'll refrain from scolding me since it all worked out in the end. :lol:

• Manta230
    Manta230
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @bundtkate! That was helpful.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Manta230,

I think Kate answered all but one of the questions you had, the last one being why didn't altering the original item to make it look like my suggested one result in the same outcome. 1Password doesn't display absolutely everything the item encodes and one detail that is never visible is whether the Login item was saved inside the browser or if it was created outside of there. The item I created was by hand using what I know about the filling code to elicit the right behaviour and a bit of trial and error :smile: The hope is of course that what 1Password saves works for the vast majority of sites without the extra effort but for some reason American Airlines seems to be a continued blind spot for us - I've never understood why it seems to cause us this much confusion.

• Manta230
    Manta230
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,
    Thanks for the explanation. That helps a lot! Glad to know the American Airlines case is an outlier.

• bundtkate
    edited May 2019
    Options

There are a few of these sites that are a bit notorious, @Manta230 but thankfully, they are fairly few and far between. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that we've wrangled American Airlines into submission and hope you enjoy happier filling there for a long time to come. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.