PI suggestion: Don't clear the search text when I change Categories

Options

Due to browser and other reasons I have to use the desktop client multiple times a day to search for a login/site. (e.g. no browser plugin for Internet Explorer / Chromium Edge)

If I have Favourites selected and my Search text isn't found there, when I click to "All Items" (or any other Category) it clears the search field and I'm forced to re-type it.

I would love it if the search isn't cleared when you change Category, and changing the Category would initiate a fresh lookup against the text already in the Search field.

Is this the right place for a product improvement suggestion, and does anyone else agree with me??

• Greig.

1Password Version: 7.3.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I think there are arguments for both, @Greig, and it's tough to say what most folks genuinely expect here so I personally hope we hear from others as well. For the most part, I select a category only when I want to filter a search, so if mine stuck around, it would just be adding an extra step to my next search. I've also heard from those who agree with you, though. Ultimately, I think it boils down to your specific search habits and that no one behavior is going to make everyone happy – at least not right now. The best solution at the end of the day is likely to be adding more specific search options so that you can decide for yourself how you'd like your search to behave rather than changing the status quo today. This is definitely something we plan to do down the road, but I'll also be sure to pass along your feedback to the team about how things work now.

Also, I noticed you mentioned there's no extension for Chromium Edge and that actually isn't true. Chromium Edge has a setting you can enable to allow installing extensions from the Chrome Web Store. If you choose ... > Extensions, there's a toggle to allow extensions from other stores there. Our Chrome extensions – both the companion extension and 1Password X – are on the Chrome Web Store and both work in Chromium Edge so you can feel free to grab it and hopefully save yourself some desktop app searching. :+1:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @bundtkate.

(& I appreciate the bonus tip re Chromium too).

• It's no trouble at all, @Greig! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope your adventures in Edge Chromium are that much smoother moving forward. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.