ipassword not using my default browser (Edge). Uses Chrome. 1P just upgraded to 7.6.778

Options

ipassword suddenly not using my default browser (Edge). Uses Chrome instead. 1P just upgraded to 7.6.778

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ipassword not using my default browser (Edge). Uses Chrome. 1P just upgraded to 7.6.778

Comments

• 1Password won't always use your default browser per se, @kziesmer. If you don't have any browser windows open with the 1Password extension installed, then it should open your default browser. If you happen to have Chrome up (or running in the background) and have the extension installed there, it will open in Chrome since that's what's running. If you have both Edge and Chrome open and the extension installed in both browsers, then it will choose whichever was last in focus. So, what browsers (if any) did you have open at the time? Which have the 1Password extension installed? If you close all of them, does Edge open? What about if you just have Edge open? Let me know what you find. :+1:

• kziesmer
    kziesmer
    Community Member
    Options

I only had Edge open at the time. I have not been using Chrome, but I don't shut down my system every night - I leave it up for weeks at a time. But it was probably in use since my last system restart, I know Chrome leaves it processes running in the background - one thing about it I've never liked. I checked and it does have the extension active.
    I just disabled the extension in Chrome and 1password is now using Edge like before.

I've only had 1password for a month so I 'm still learning. But it still seems odd that this is the 1st time this has happened. Chrome has probably had processes running all along and 1password has always used my default of Edge. That 1password was just updated may be coincidental, I've seen it happen, but that always makes me suspicious. Thoughts here?

I should have warned you up front that I'm a retired mainframe tech service guy. When I have a problem I like to thoroughly understand what's going on. Sorry LOL.

Is there a way to disable auto-updates of your software? I know why companies do it and I am a firm believer in putting updates on, but I like to do it at my discretion. Prevents 2 things from updating at or around the same time. Plus it's MY computer. Sorry again - Pet Peeve.
    Thanks for your help.
    Kurt

• bundtkate
    edited July 2020
    Options

It's actually not necessarily a coincidence, @kziesmer. 1Password for Windows used to handle open and fill rather differently and we made some major changes to how that process occurs to better mirror other platforms and it absolutely would change browser behavior. That said, those changes were made in the version before this one so depending on your update schedule, it may still be purely coincidental.

If you have been updating on-schedule (and it sounds from your second question like you are), perhaps you've unwittingly made a change to keep Chrome running when it wasn't before. Chrome keeping things running in the background actually isn't normal in my experience. I don't use it personally, but I keep it around for testing and probably pop it open once per day at least. I've never noticed it keeps running for me. I just gave it a test and opened it up with task manager running, then closed it, and all processes went away. There are some extensions and features that will cause it to continue running, though, and to my recollection Chrome doesn't really tell you that in so many words. I recall a long while back enabling one for gmail to provide notifications while my browser was closed only to immediately disable it because I realized it kept Chrome open in the background. If you want to keep the extension in Chrome, you might want to do some digging and see if you can figure out what settings are keeping it alive or see if any extensions do so. I'd wager that's actually the source of your trouble.

As for auto-updates, there is totally a toggle for that. It's in 1Password > Settings in the Update tab. Toggle of "Automatically install updates" and you're good to go. You'll still see a banner notification when an update is available, but it won't install until you give it the go-ahead. I'm going to hold you to still patching regularly though. That's important stuff! :wink:

• kziesmer
    kziesmer
    Community Member
    Options

That was very helpful. I've got the extension disabled in Chrome and I don't plan on using it.
    Something I do need to figure out. Yesterday I shut down Chrome and killed all the active processes.
    Today I restarted my system. I have not used Chrome, but I just looked and there are about 10 Chrome processes active.
    Not sure why, but that will be my task for tomorrow.
    Anyway I'm satisfied that I understand what happened. You can close this.

Thanks for your help
    Kurt
    P.S. - Love your handle

• Strange, @kziesmer! I restart regularly (which I learned yesterday makes me weird, according to my teammates) and I can't say I've ever noticed that, but I definitely don't use Chrome heavily so I won't paint myself as an expert by any means, just someone who has screwed up in the past and learned a thing or two. :wink: Sounds like an interesting mystery (or inevitable frustration, depending on how you look at it) for you future you, though. Hopefully you're able to figure it out without too much fuss. :chuffed:

And thank you for the compliments on the handle! We've grown a lot since I started here and I anticipate a push for professionalism putting an end to it at some point, but I'm clinging to it for now. As a Kate with a habit of baking a bit too much, it seemed a good fit so I'm happy to wear it so long as I can. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.