Sync is failing intermittently between my 3 Macs and iPhone

Options
JoeBloeC7
JoeBloeC7
Community Member

I noticed after updating to macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and 1Password 7.7 that changes made on one device do not always sync with the others. I am using an iPhone 12, a 2017 iMac, a late 2012 iMac (patched to run Big Sur), and a 2015 MacBook Air. All devices are running 1Password version 7.7.

When I notice a sync failure, the only way I have found to correct the error is to right-click the 1Password icon in the menu bar and completely quit 1Password and then restart it.

I have never before experienced any sync problems since I began my subscription with 1Password. Normally all devices would sync almost instantaneously.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

I did some more research on my problem and it appears that the sync fails after the Mac has gone to sleep. It can then be corrected by any of three methods:

1- restart the Mac
    2- right-click the icon in the menu bar to quit 1Password completely and then turn it back on.
    3- turn off Wi-Fi and then turn Wi-Fi back on.

It sure seems like some sort of Wi-Fi problem because I believe all 3 methods effect Wi-Fi the same way.

Help please.

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

Also it appears that the problem is with only the installed APP on the computer and not with 1Password.com.

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

I am running...
    1Password Version: 7.7 (70700015)
    Extension Version: 7.7
    OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.0.1
    Sync Type: 1Password Families subscription

• phoebus
    phoebus
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I took your advice after restarting 1password didn't do anything. Turning wifi off and on got it to sync. Only noticed this since the upgrade to Big Sur.

• drrlvn
    drrlvn
    Community Member
    Options

Just happened to me - a new login added on my iPhone showed up on my.1password.com, only after a while on 1Password X and couldn't get it to show up on Mac until I turned the WiFi off and on like you said.
    I'm using 1Password 7.7 (70700015) on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29).

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Me too! I have been waiting for a new login to sync fully to my iMac. I had created, well 1P had saved a new login on my iMac. but the OTP was added on my iPhone as I needed to scan the code. My iPhone and iPad were up to date but my iMac had not updated in nearly 2 hours. Turning wifi on my iMac off then immediately back on fixed the issue. The card I was watching updated instantly.

I am not using Big Sur. I am using 1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Mac App Store
    Catalina 10.15.7

• ahortin
    ahortin
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having (iCloud) sync issues as well. I removed a login on one of my Macs last night and when I logged onto another Mac this morning, it was still there. After looking at the Sync details, I noticed that it hadn't synced for over 2 days. Locking and unlocking 1PW didn't force a sync either. The only reason it finally decided to Sync was because I had to reset my password for this forum to leave this message.

Can you please, please add a 'Sync now' option so we can manually sync 1PW when this issue arises. I know you want to sort these issues out but we shouldn't have to wait days, just so we can get our 1PW apps synced across devices. Turning WiFi off like others mentioned here, isn't going to work when I'm using Ethernet, and I shouldn't have to turn WiFi on/off anyway, just to get a sync going. There needs to be a simple, 100% effective solution, to be able to perform a manual sync when issues like this arise.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the sam problem using a family account.
    Bug Sur
    11.0.1 (20B29)
    Safari Version 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.8)
    1Password.com
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Mac App Store

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I could not help but notice that the 1P team are very quiet in this thread which, based on my experience, is very unusual.

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm this is now happening on 4 different macs (only the mac app is out of sync), all logged into the same 1password account, the only way to get items to update between accounts is to switch vaults, then switch back, then all the items are in sync. I haven't tried the turn off wifi trick, perhaps that somehow triggers the same fix re-sync. But switching to another vault in the account, then switching back absolutely works every time, then all the items edited on different macs are now correct and in sync again.

I suspect they are looking into this, working on a fix. Thank you 1password team.

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

I havewritten to Support, but so far they have no answers for me. Very disappointed. I asked for a discount on my subscription payment. No responses as of yet

• @eishapiro

I am not seeing a support ticket in our queue for you. Do you have a support ID that you can share with me?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@S13 @iwaddo et al.

We have had a larger than usual influx of support requests. We are working as quickly as we can to get to everyone. My apologies for the delays. We are investigating your reports. Can anyone who experienced this check and let me know if the sync occurs after switching vaults. No need to quit the application if it's the same issue I am thinking of. Simply switch vaults and then back again. Does the sync occur?

A lock and unlock of the app should also trigger a sync.

• @ahortin

Your issue may be different because you are using iCloud for syncing. iCloud syncing relies on services outside of our own which we have no control over. Have you tried using our troubleshooting guide for iCloud syncing?

• My apologies if I missed anyone.

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

ag_tommy

the support ticket number is #WTV-95571-293.

• lfranchi
    lfranchi
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone who experienced this check and let me know if the sync occurs after switching vaults. No need to quit the application if it's the same issue I am thinking of. Simply switch vaults and then back again. Does the sync occur?
    A lock and unlock of the app should also trigger a sync.

My company is also experiencing this sync issue (we've submitted a support ticket, but don't yet have a ticket number). I can confirm that locking and unlocking does not trigger a sync. We will double-check with changing vaults, but I don't think that has been triggering a sync either -- we don't seem to be able to trigger a sync no matter what we do.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Is there an easy way to see when my Apps last synchronised with the hosted vault(s)?

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

ag_tommy

For me it seems that changes occur normally immediately after a previous change was made. After an unspecified waiting period, the changes do NOT occur. At that time they can be forced by turning Wi-Fi off and the back on, or changing Vaults. Lock and unlock do not seen to effect the change.

The point is, 1Password used to instantaneously make all changes for me without any special intervention steps. The current behavior is a distinct new change for the worse and it is defeating the purpose of a 1Password that automatically and effortlessly syncs between all your devices as advertised.

Thanks for your help.

• @eishapiro

It was under a different email address than your forum. Sorry, that tripped me up. I'll try to get someone back to you as soon as possible.

ref: KCU-84262-964

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member
    Options

ag_tommy

thank you very much

• ahortin
    ahortin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy The sync issues only just started with this latest version. It's been working fine for years, up till now. All my apps are up to date across all devices, they're all syncing with iCloud and I only have one iCloud login so every device is logged in using the same credentials.

I rebooted my Mac today and 1PW resynced, but I shouldn't have to reboot every time just to get it to sync. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it keeps syncing regularly or whether it stops again.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Going back to my last question. How quickly/frequently is 1P on my iMac supposed to synchronise and is there anywhere I can check progress?

It seems changes on my iOS devices are making it to the server but not 1P on my iMac unless I toggle wifi.

Thank you for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo:

1Password should sync automatically if there are any changes, but in case it doesn't happen for some reason, locking and unlocking the 1Password for Mac app will force a sync to take place right away.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Yes, it always used to sync automatically but now it is not unless I toggle wifi. Do I take it from the lack of an answer that there is no way I can check the last sync time of all my devices? Thank you for your support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is correct @iwaddo, there is currently not a way to check the sync status directly inside the app. If you would like, however, we can take a look at your logs and see if we spot why this is happening to you though. To do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I have sent the report, the ticket number is #MHV-82261-117

Thank you for your support.

This discussion has been closed.