How to get the "Welcome to 1Password 7" (Subscribe Today) screen from coming up

Options
Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Mac

Hello,

I installed 1Password 7 perpetual today and entered my license.

All is now working OK except that the "Welcome to 1Password 7" screen pops up every time I do something with 1Password.

How do I get 1Password to realize that I'm all set and don't need its nag screen about subscriptions?

Want that pop up screen to stop appearing.

Thanks very much in advance,

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11,1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mork!

If you click on 1Password in your menu bar > License... entry, does it show that your license has been correctly applied?

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Since I installed the license, there is no longer a "license" menu item displayed.

Is 1Password confused somehow?

What next?

Thanks,

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

The issue is with the password "mini" in FireFox. As soon as I add the password, I get the subscription nag screen. I tried removing and re-adding the mini extension several times with the licensed 1P 7 version, but the nag screen pops up everytime I enter a password in the browser via the mini extension.

Can you help me get this screen from appearing?

Thanks,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mork:

Since I installed the license, there is no longer a "license" menu item displayed.

Did you perhaps download the 1Password app from the Mac App Store? If you did, please download the app from our website instead: the Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships (which are paid with a subscription), and does not allow you to apply licenses. The website version will instead allow you to add your existing license.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I installed it right from the 1P "Install Browser Extensions" menu option.

I also just tried installing from your website (mini extension says "Desktop app required"), but the nag screen pops up every time.

What next?

THanks

• @Mork

Did you happen to install 1Password from the Mac App Store, the main application that resides in your Applications folder? The beginning steps here will show you how to check the installed version. The Mac App Store version is by far the most common reason I see someone describe what you're experiencing.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Don't think so. I've removed the extension from Firefox and made sure I added it from your website (or from the 1P program itself, which I believe is the same thing.)

The 1P extension in Firefox reads:
    "1Password extension (desktop app required)
    Extends the 1Password app on your Mac or Windows PC, so you can fill and save passwords in your browser."

There is not one from the App Store that I see.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

• @Mork

Correct, the extension is available via download from the site. Due to the extension only working in tandem with the 1Password application. I believe the problem may reside within the main application or a configuration snafu.

--

If you would like to send over a diagnostic report , we can take a look under the hood and see if we can spot the problem.

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key: Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. Mork
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/118397/how-to-get-the-welcome-to-1password-7-subscribe-today-screen-from-coming-up#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like it happens with 1Password also. I'll send the report and wait to hear back. Thanks.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I created the report but what is the email address I should use?

Your diagnostic wants to use Mac Mail that I don't have set up yet after my system crash.

• @Mork

I did not find a ticket associated with your forum email address. It may still be in our sorting queue. If you received a response from BitBot, our automated assistant, please let me know your Support ID #.

Thanks,

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Please let me know how to send this report to you via email. I have not yet sent it. Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@Mork

It looks like our posts crossed.

1. Click Show Report in Finder.
    2. Drag the .zip file to your Desktop
    3. Drag the .zip file into your mail message or attach it directly.

Please use support@1password.com

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

I sent the report with my user name in the subject line.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I also seem to have lost the ability to edit passwords. If I double click the password item in 1Password (not mini), I get the Subscription nag screen, but no edit shown.

Something is really off here.

Hope the report I sent helps.

Thx

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@Mork

I just replied to your email. Check your inbox. :chuffed:

ref: GHI-34821-856

• obenix
    obenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I upgraded 1password to version 7.7 and now I have the same problem: the pop up to offer me the subscription licence opens automatically and I can't enter 1password master password to use the app! I have to kill the application with the Activity monitor tool, and then it comes back to the application and I can enter my master password.

I can no longer use the mini 1password without having to kill the process and start again.

It doesn't make sense.

Mac Os 10.15.5
    1password 7.7

• @obenix

The most common reason for seeing the dialogue is you have accidentally installed the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store. Can you let me know where you installed 1Password from?

• obenix
    obenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I install the 1password from your website as your support team recommand me...

• obenix
    obenix
    Community Member
    Options

Before upgrading to 7.7 it never happens. When I upgraded at the first opening of 1password via 1password mini I had this problem

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what happened. I was using the same perpetual version as before but somehow it became the app store version. In any case, the solution was to download the perpetual version from the 1P website and all was OK again.

I think the 1P support team is simply amazing!

• @obenix

I have seen individuals accidentally be upgraded to the Mac App Store version if they once used that version. Can you check the installed version of 1Password? The beginning steps in my previous link will show you the installed version.

If you have the Mac App Store version installed and are a licensed customer, you will need to switch to the website version. If you have a membership, you will not need to change your installed version. Instead, you will need to apply your membership to your install to stop the message.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. You guys are the best!

Very satisfied with the EXCELLENT support and friendly exchanges.

:)

• @Mork

:blush:

• obenix
    obenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, You're right. It was Apple version.Maybe I chose an upgrade proposed by the OS.
    That's it, I solved the problem, thank you very much.
    Why do you have this problem? Isn't it possible that whatever the download site, your app recognizes that I have a license and doesn't open the pop up ?

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Software is complicated -- especially when they offer two payment models.

I applaud them for that payment flexibility though. Too many companies try to shove the "forced subscriptions" on users with no alternative.

These guys are amazing as they actually pay attention to their customers. Sounds like a simple thing to do, but most companies, let's be honest, just don't do that simple thing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@obenix:

I don't think it would be as easy to recognize that you have a license, because until you try to apply it to the app, 1Password cannot know that you have a license in the first place. And since the 1Password app from the Mac App Store does not support licenses, but only 1Password Memberships (which are paid with a subscription), you need to make sure you download the app from our website if you want to apply the license to it.

• obenix
    obenix
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I understand. Yes, @Mork, there is a very good customer support service. I hope 1password maintain this choice, basically because we don't need always all the services linked to subscriptions version, so we don't have to pay for that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the kind words @obenix :)

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have a problem with paying for a subscription in this case. 1Password is so central to most things I do, the money is not the issue. For me, there are just some data that should not be on a server that, however "secure" it is today, could be harvested or hacked tomorrow. That password data is, for me, just too sensitive to take that risk. Fortunately, 1Password is such a great company they don't force subscriptions on users like so many other companies nowadays. I no longer use Adobe and many other products due to these companies heavy-handed subscription-only licensing.

This discussion has been closed.