"1Password 7" logins

Options
clarino
clarino
Community Member

I have a lot of "1Password 7" logins in my vault. I gather these are some kind of temp entry used internally by 1Password. Each has a Restore button at the top. I have no idea what that does and there's no explanation. I don't want to click it and have it mess up some other entry. I simply want to delete these logins. But there is no Delete button in sight. There's no Delete item in the menus. And the Delete shortcut listed in the documentation doesn't delete these entries. So how do I get rid of them?

On a related note, each has "website app://com.agilebits.onepassword7" which means nothing to me and just adds to my confusion. If this is something users are supposed to see, can you at least put a note inside each explaining what to do about them? And instead of calling them "1Password 7" how about titling them something more meaningful like "1Password Temporary Crash Recovery."

I think the reason I'm seeing so many such entries is related to 1Password hanging a lot and I have to kill it. I have no idea why it hangs so much but, as a new user, I'm creating a lot of logins and it seems like I cannot do more than 6 or so before it hangs. I don't think that it has anything to do with 6 because the first thing I did after one such hang/restart was to drag a login from one vault to another, and 1P hung. Can I send you a stack trace or something else to help?

I'm using the latest 1P on MacOS 10.13.6 on an otherwise rock-solid Mac.

Hmm. As I type this, I see those "1Password 7" entries have disappeared on their own! Nonetheless, I'd appreciate if their function could be made clearer or at least what we're supposed to do with them even if it's only "Ignore this entry."

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @clarino

The presence of the restore button would indicate you are viewing the 1Password trash. The restore button moves these entries from the trash to their original vault so you can use them again. To delete these entries, you would need to empty the 1Password trash.

• Emptying the trash removes all items that you have placed there. Please be sure it doe not contain any items you intend on keeping before emptying.
    • To empty the trash in the menu bar with 1Password frontmost, click 1Password 7, and then "Empty Trash..."

website app://com.agilebits.onepassword7

This would indicate that the information was saved while using 1Password X. It may be you are saving your login attempts when visiting 1Password.com based upon your first comments.

And instead of calling them "1Password 7" how about titling them something more meaningful like "1Password Temporary Crash Recovery."

I don't think that's what they are. Please see above and below too.

one such hang/restart was to drag a login from one vault to another.

When items are moved from one vault to another, the action is actually a copy and trash the original item due to how the vault encryption works. You cannot directly move an item between vaults. That could explain the extra copies you saw above.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

You caution that I be sure the trash does not contain anything of value. I see no menu option or button to view the trash. And those "1Password 7" entries don't appear to give any visual indication of being trash. How am I suppose to know they're trash? How can I view what else is in the trash?

I see now that the "1Password 7" entries are mostly coming when 1Password hangs and I have to kill 1Password. I just had to kill it again and now I see two buttons: "Edit" & "Convert to Login". What's the difference between Restore and Convert to Login?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

What's the difference between Restore and Convert to Login?

"Restore" moves an item out of the Trash, back into where it was before you deleted it. "Convert to Login" converts a Password item into a Login item (so that you can add a username to it, for example).

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks for explaining the difference between Restore and Convert. And I did finally locate the trash. It's a bit unhelpful that it only appears when the tags are shown AND it's below all the tags. (I have enough tags already that the Trash icon was off the bottom of the screen.)

But something is still going wrong. I deleted all the "Restore" and "Convert to Login" entries yesterday, added some more accounts, during which 1Password hung once and I had to kill it. (I mentioned this issue earlier.) Today, I see a lot more Restore entries.

-- Screenshot removed for your privacy.

• @clario

Can you determine how these entries are getting created, as in, is there something that causes them to appear? Are you using 1Password X to fill your Master Password into the Mac App, for example? Or the 1Password.com website?

Sorry for asking again. This is just sticking in the back of my head as the culprit here.

This discussion has been closed.