Menu bar prompts to install Brave extension, when Brave extension is already installed.

Options
tomhendra
tomhendra
Community Member

The context prompt on macOS instructs to install the Brave browser extension even though it has already been installed, as screen shot below.

I have tried restarting the browser, restarting & re-authenticating 1Password desktop/extension apps (Quit completely) & rebooted the system.

Tom

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: 11.2.1

Comments

• @tomhendra

The extension you have installed is 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X), not our classic extension. It does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app. With that said, the 1Password helper at the top our your screen has no knowledge of the newer 1Password extension. That is why you see the message to add the extension.

1Password (X) in the browser has its own pop up for suggestions within the browser. That being Shift + Command + X.

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_tommy

I understand, many thanks for your reply.

Is the classic extension still being actively developed, if I choose to use that alongside the native Mac app instead?

I am very new to 1Password so I am still finding my feet. I appreciate your help.

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Never mind, I have done some web searching and found explanation threads here and here about the difference between versions.

In summary, the choice is between the newer standalone web browser extension, or the native app accompanied with the classic extension. I must have missed something while onboarding because I didn't realise there were two distinct options.

I'll try both and keep an eye on the changelog and blog to see how things progress. :chuffed:

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Further to this, it seems that the newer extension is where the new features are being directed, and there is a plan to integrate it with the native application, but there have been difficulties with progress according to this thread.

Is there any update on the integration? All seems to have gone rather quiet.

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I keep answering my own questions! According to this thread, it was stated 5 days ago: "...our developers are working on this. We are all excited to see this feature back"

I guess I have uncovered everything I need to know.

Hopefully someone else finds this thread of me having a conversation with myself useful! :blush:

• Ben
    Options

me having a conversation with myself

heh. Sometimes those are the most productive conversations. ;) Thanks for the update @tomhendra. Glad to hear you were able to find the answers you were looking for. If there are any questions you don't find the answers to we'll be happy to help.

Ben

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@Ben Thank you - much appreciated. There is one...

Touch ID functionality with the shiny new extension would be so good outside of Safari, and I get the impression that you good folks are on the brink of a nailing it after a bit of a setback.

Is there any idea of timeframe at all? I understand that you are unable to commit to anything definitive, but perhaps a date range of the current best estimate if you can divulge it. For example < 3 months or 3-6 months perhaps.

Before my trial ends and I commit to a year, I would like to know roughly how long the workarounds will be necessary.

Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomhendra:

Touch ID functionality with the shiny new extension would be so good outside of Safari, and I get the impression that you good folks are on the brink of a nailing it after a bit of a setback.

That's correct :) We don't have a timeframe yet I am afraid, but our developers are working on this as we speak :+1:

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

No worries, I'm sure you are fully behind it. :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the understanding @tomhendra, we appreciate it :)

• jqmm
    jqmm
    Community Member
    Options

A big thank you to Tom for asking this question and following up with himself to explain things. This has been driving me nuts and it seems like the developer has no interest in addressing this strange situation.

• Ben
    Options

@jqmm

There is ongoing work regarding this situation. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.