Options
2»

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Michael Mercurio ,

The log shows the extension could not connect to the desktop app and unlock it due to some 2FA error. Could it be your desktop app was not used for a long while? It might be holding some stale data. Please try the following:

1. Log into your 1Password account on our website and make sure that all of your vaults and passwords are there. We're going to delete them from the desktop app so this is your source of backup and restore - do not proceed if something is missing here.
    2. Reset the desktop app as instructed here: https://support.1password.com/cs/starting-over/
    3. Open the newly reset desktop app, then re-add your 1Password account to it.
    4. Restart your computer, open the desktop app, then open the browser and see if things work as expected.

In case things still don't work, I'll need to you send us the following via email:

Send it to support+x@1password.com and we'll investigate the issue further :)

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member
    Options

Hey everyone. I have an update and workaround after working with 1Password Support on this.

It looks like it's a problem with the extension failing to communicate with the macOS desktop app as @ag_yaron and others have suggested. What's not clear is why this works successfully in some cases and not others. I've seen where it works flawlessly in one browser (e.g., Edge or Safari), but not another (Chrome or Firefox). Also, after repeatedly uninstalling and re-installing the extension for the same browser (repeated in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on macOS) in some cases the install works, and in other cases, it does not.

Here's the workaround:

If after installing the extension, clicking on the 1Password icon in the toolbar does not activate the extension and prompt for master password to unlock it, go into the extension settings and disable "Integrate with 1Password app".

Here are the instructions for Firefox:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, choose "Sign in to an account".
    4. Once your account has been added, re-enable integration and test to see if everything is working as expected.

Once the browser extension is working, integration with the desktop app can successfully be enabled if desired. This has fixed the issue for me on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Thanks for the information and responses!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing that here @Michael Mercurio !

• mustangxu
    mustangxu
    Community Member
    Options

Pls keep updating classic version for Chrome extension on Mac. I won't use the X version unless
    1. I can unlock 1password by touch ID - I have a high-strength master password and I don't want to input it each time I use 1password in Chrome, it's horrible!
    2. I can set a non-letter hotkey like "cmd \", this is not supported by Chrome by far

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mustangxu:

1. I can unlock 1password by touch ID - I have a high-strength master password and I don't want to input it each time I use 1password in Chrome, it's horrible!

If you enable desktop app integration, you can do this already, we added the feature a few months ago ;)

• B3B3
    B3B3
    Community Member
    Options

So, 1Password can be integrated with the 1Password App, which is great, but can you use the cmd\ hotkey? The keyboard is quicker than the mouse.

• Hey @B3B3! You can indeed use the beloved Command-\ shortcut with the new(ish) browser-app integration. :smile:

• mje
    mje
    Community Member
    Options

Just came here to say that not only could I not get Command-\ to work with 1Password X (in Firefox 95 on macOS), I also couldn't get it to fill suggested passwords. I'm a bit annoyed that the classic extension for Firefox is clunkier than the Safari extension, but at least the basic functionality works!

• @mje

I wonder if you might have better luck with the beta version of 1Password for Firefox? I'm currently using this one and CMD+\ works for me. If you're interested in giving it a try, you can install it from here. I'd be curious to know if it improves your autofilling experience.

This discussion has been closed.