What is best practice for creating records in 1Password?

Options

Hello,

I have a 1P Families account. I primarily access it from a Windows 10 laptop & an Android 11 phone (1PW v7.7.7), but occasionally also do so from Apple iPad & iPhone devices as well.

I'm curious as to what you think best practice is for creating records in 1Password.

1. For ex., if you have a gym membership record, is it best to create a LOGIN account with username, PW, URL AND also gym membership info, addresses, phone numbers, etc.
    OR
  2. Would it be better to create a membership record that includes the previous noted information?
    OR
  3. Is the best practice to have only gym URL, username, & PW on a LOGIN record & all the gym info on a membership record?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 in Firefox
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro - OS Vers 10.0.19042 & Android 11

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if there is an official best practice, but I made these rules for myself:

• if there is a website login or app login I want 1Password to autofill associated with the record I want to create, I create a "login" category entry.
    • otherwise, I create a category whose fields matches most closely the fields I intend to enter.
    • after creation, I add custom fields for every information not present in the category template used.
    • Border case: software license. If I need to save registration keys and purchase information and at the same time the purchased app requires some internal login, I might create 2 entries, one for the login and one for the license if the app requires me to enter login credentials every time I start it, but only one software license entry with custom username+password fields if I enter the credentials once at app installation and then never again.

If it happens there is category for the entry, but there is also an associated website login, I create a login entry and add the fields as custom fields. And no entry with the specialized category. It's possible (and probably designed by 1Password) to link multiple entries, for example a specialized category and a login entry, but I found that cumbersome and not user friendly. I rather have a single entry with everything in it, and no linked entries. Linked entries clutter my vault, and I tend to always open the wrong entry.

So, in your case of a gym membership, I would create a login entry, because there is a website login. I add the additional fields like address, phone numbers as custom fields to the login entry. But this is only my personal preference. For categorization, I would add the tag to this entry that collects all my family/real life (non computer) related entries.

• This is a really clever set of guidelines, @Tertius3. There's a lot of ways to use 1Password, and this one is pretty neat!

I hope this provides a way to think about this question, @55208wcgk. There are no hard and set rules for this kind of thing, but I'm glad you asked here - learning how other folks have found their organizational groove can spare a lot of time and effort!

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Good stuff. Really appreciate the quick response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Tertius3 and Peter, you are welcome @55208wcgk :) Let us know if you have any other questions :+1:

This discussion has been closed.