1PW for Safari and Ghostery Lite conflict

Options

Just installed 1PW for Safari v2.0.6 from the Mac AppStore and while setting up I could only get it to show a loading screen in the browser. Tried restarting Safari, turning the extension on and off, and rebooting my Mac all to no avail.

I eventually tried pausing Ghostery lite and immediately the setup page opened and I could continue logging in to my account.

I assume the 1PW for Safari extension is attempting to connect to some tracking or analytics service that Ghostery lite blocks, however, there was no message from the 1PW extension that this is what was occurring. Perhaps there needs to be a timeout with a message that it can't connect and to check content blockers rather than just sitting there endlessly showing the loading message.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @snozdop ,

Our extension does not connect to any analytics site, it only connects to https://my.1password.com , so I'm not sure why this is being blocked. Tried it here with Ghostery and things worked well for me, so unless you manually modified the default settings and protection of Ghostery, this shouldn't happen by default.

If you add "1password.com" to the trusted sites list in Ghostery's settings, do you still encounter the issue?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

If you add "1password.com" to the trusted sites list in Ghostery's settings, do you still encounter the issue?

1password.com itself doesn't appear to be blocked as I can access it directly.

I'll try adding it explicitly, but how do I get the** 1Password for Safari** extension back to the initial just installed state? The "Sign Out" button in the extension settings under Accounts & Vaults is disabled (it say's "Removing accounts is currently disabled when integrated with a desktop app").

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snozdop You'll want to uninstall the extension completely from Safari, then re-download it from the Mac App Store.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I tried that but it must have saved the settings somewhere because upon re-installing and enabling the extension in Safari, I was already logged in to my 1Password account. It didn't show the setup screen again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snozdop That's to be expected if you have the desktop app installed. The extension should automatically grab your accounts from the desktop app and set itself up without you having to manually sign into your accounts.

It sounds like on your first install the extension did not connect to the desktop app, which is why it tried to launch our website for you to log in manually.
    If you completely quit the 1Password desktop app so that it won't run in the background, then uninstall and reinstall the extension, you might be able to reproduce it.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds like on your first install the extension did not connect to the desktop app, which is why it tried to launch our website for you to log in manually.

I did have some problems initially getting the extension to show up in Safari at all. It didn't appear in the list of extensions to enable until I followed @Kaitlyn instructions here so maybe it was related to that.

It's working now and I can't get it to do it again, so hopefully just a one-off glitch. I must say the onboarding process for both 1Password for Safari and the new 1Password 8 Early Access have been more complicated and error-prone than I've ever experienced with 1Password in 12 years of use. Hopefully it'll be smoothed out before release.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snozdop Thanks for the info and the feedback.

This is indeed an early access build so issues are expected. We have a lot of stuff on the TO DO list before we launch the stable version :)

This discussion has been closed.