Change 1Password identity in a Mac user account

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member

I have found various discussions of this problem in the Forum, spread over many years. Those discussions have been closed and the suggested solutions did not work for me.

Here is my situation: I have just set up a new MacBook Air M1, and created a user account for my wife, since it is primarily her computer. In order to set up and configure the computer, and install some of the software, I of course used my 1Password Family account to access the passwords and data. Now it is time to turn this account over to my wife. Everything works fine, except 1Password.

I have found no way to get 1Password to allow her to login. 1Password insists on only allowing my login in this Mac user account. There is a choice in the 1Password menu which seems to be just what we want: 'Account > Sign in to Another Account.' Clicking this choice, 1Password says 'We found 1 account' and it shows the family account name and my wife's email address. This appears to be perfect.

However, clicking the 'Add' button produces the error message: "1Password Account Cannot Be Added; You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team." So the method fails, while implying that a total stranger could set up an alternate 1Password login in this Mac user account, but that a second person IN SAME THE FAMILY ACCOUNT for 1Password cannot be trusted. Or perhaps it is that 1Password wishes to make life difficult for its Family account holders. It is very frustrating to find 1Password to be so hostile to this simple and necessary task.

Having the option for either one of us to log into 1Password from this account would be useful. Is that possible, as the menu item implies, and the error message denies?

Failing that, how do I eliminate my ability to log into 1Password in this Mac user account, and add my wife's 1Password login as the only one for this Mac user account?

[I am aware that I could delete this Mac user account and create an entirely new one for my wife, thereby wasting a percentage of the time I spent setting up this first account for my wife. I hope that 1Password has a more user-friendly approach than that.]

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nekoninda!

"1Password Account Cannot Be Added; You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team."

You will need to remove your 1Password Families account from the app before you can add your wife's. As the error message says, you cannot add two accounts from the same 1Password Families account to the same 1Password app.

Once you remove your own 1Password account from your wife's app, you can add the correct account :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You need to click on the "-" button in 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab, after selecting your account from the list:

You will then see this message:

• carolk123
    carolk123
    Community Member
    Options

thank you so much for this solution! I have exactly the same problem with the computer that I set up for my husband, now I have changed the 1password account to his, thank you so much! The 1password website was not very helpful, this really was exactly my problem & now it's solved!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @carolk123! I am glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.