Bug?: iOS 15.1, TVOS remote launches 1Password, but no longer activates FaceID or unlocks

Options
The Doctor
The Doctor
Community Member

This is somewhat complicated to describe, but I think a bug has developed between iOS 15's remote app and 1Password. It has to do with unlocking. I'll try to explain both how to replicate the issue and a workaround.

Replication:
When using TV, a password field will prompt a notification to one's iPhone. Until recently, tapping that notification would launch the remote app with an input field holding focus. At the bottom of the screen was either a specific option, e.g., Apple, or just the iOS password icon. Pressing either launches 1Password's login page where FaceID wold then authenticate and open 1Password.

Currently, the launching still takes place, but the 1Password branded sheet is blank, i.e., no master password field or FaceID activation.

This occurs in all situations when prompted for an ID/PW combination from the iOS remote app.

Hypothesis:
The iOS remote app is somewhat atypical because it acts more like control panel than a standard app. I think a recent update to either 1Password or iOS has caused the handshake between the remote app and 1P to break.

Workaround:
If you launch 1Password, authenticate via FaceID (or master p/w), THEN click on the TV ID/PW field, the notification pops up over a still active 1P session. Tapping the notification causes the iOS remote control to overlay 1Password without it locking and you can then search for the appropriate ID/PW within the vault.

Obviously, this is a horrible experience, but at least it gets the job done for the time being.

I am running an iPhone XS Max and 1P, tvOS, and iOS are on the most current versions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @The Doctor:

While it may be complicated to describe, it's definitely something we're actively aware of. :smile:

We've been digging into this internally, and it looks like the cause of this extends beyond 1Password, and is something for Apple to take a look at further. Our development team has filed feedback with them, and the workaround you've provided for Apple TV is hugely helpful!

Jack

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to help and hope I didn't kluge up the forum. I did search for a similar thread but didn't find anything. Still, since the workaround might prove useful to others, hopefully it's a good addition :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is indeed @The Doctor, thank you again for taking the time to share it :)

• bastula
    bastula
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Is there any update on this from Apple or AgileBits side? I noted the same issue in October 2021. Unfortunately, it also affects iCloud Keychain Passwords as well. :'(
    https://1password.community/discussion/123756/apple-tv-ios-remote-app-entering-passwords-using-1p8-is-not-working

• Hey @bastula:

We're definitely aware of how annoying this is, but we don't have any updates to share at this time. Thanks for your patience on this!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.