Mouse scroll wheel not working when 1Password 8 is open

Options
gstvds
gstvds
Community Member

Hello!

I'm having this weird issue that every time I open 1Password 8 app my mouse (MX Master 3) scroll wheel stop working.
I took a screenshot from the Logi Options+ app saying that the problem is with 1Password.

It's in Portuguese, but it says "1Password is preventing the device from being recognized. Restart 1Password or your computer to fix the error"
It started with the recent versions of 1Password app.

I generated the app diagnostic if it's necessary.

Thank you

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.5
OS Version: macOS 12.1
Referrer: forum-search:MX Master

Comments

• Hey @gstvds:

Thanks for letting us know about this. To confirm, do you see this message whenever you open 1Password, or only when you edit an item? The interaction with Logitech mice and 1Password is something that we've been investigating and digging into for a while now, but it isn't something we can easily work around. Due to how we use Secure Input to protect your information when editing in 1Password, the Logitech software gets confused. If you're seeing this whenever having 1Password open, not just when editing, I can investigate and dig in a bit further however. Let me know!

Jack

• gstvds
    gstvds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @jack.platten

Thank you for the reply!

It happens every time I open 1Password (not necessarily when editing something). But I did notice that when I open the app the Search bar is automatically selected, which is probably the reason why the scroll doesn't work. However, sometimes this behavior persists even after I close the app (but not force quitting), which was the case when I first opened this discussion.

Gustavo

• ingshtrom
    ingshtrom
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same setup. 2021 M1 Mac. 1Password 8 for Mac Beta. MX Master 3 mouse + Logi Options+ software. I only experience it when attempting to scroll in the "New Item" modal or when editing an item. I can scroll through all of my items and scroll the same item when not editing it.

• Hey @ingshtrom:

Thanks for clarifying, I've added your additional information to the issue we have on this. Stay tuned for updates and hopefully we can have this improved in the future! :smile:

Jack

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

I'm having this weird issue that every time I open 1Password 8 app my mouse (MX Master 3) scroll wheel stop working.

I hadn't been able to reproduce this for a long time. Then I switched the connection for my MX Master 3 mouse from the RF dongle to Bluetooth (to troubleshoot an unrelated issue) and started seeing the "no scrolling" problem quite regularly. The team made some tweaks based on these findings, and those tweaks are available in the 80600056 nightly build. We would really appreciate it if you could give this build a try and see if the problems with scrolling persist.

Please note that this fix will not fix scrolling while editing an item inside of 1Password, but should help prevent 1Password from blocking scrolling while running in the background, on the lock screen.

To workaround the issue with scrolling while actively using 1Password I would suggest trying the USB RF dongle included with the mouse, rather than connecting via Bluetooth. It seems whatever Logitech is doing to make scrolling work while connected via Bluetooth is incompatible with Secure Input. That isn't something that we would be able to address directly on our end, other than by discontinuing our use of Secure Input (which is a non-starter). Secure Input is one of the important layers of protection 1Password has against key loggers.

Thank you!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.