1P not working to create an save a password

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have had this problem before and reported it. This is on my Mac desktop.

1. Get informed by a website that my password is expired and I have to create a new one.
  2. Use the suggestion from 1P and click "update existing".
  3. For some reason, the new entries do not take, and I have to have 1P suggest a new password, and again save it to update existing.
  4. Login proceeds with the new password.
  5. Log out and login again to confirm it is working.
  6. Site says invalid password.
  7. Check the login and I see it is still the old password. So it did not update to the new password.
  8. Check the "Passwords" category to see what the new password is and manually update.
  9. There are no new passwords saved there since March 30, which is five says ago.
  10. I have to do a password reset with the site.

So 1P is not working for me to update passwords. As I said I have had this problem several times before, and reported it in this forum.

Then I try to find out what my 1P version is by clicking on the link below. It takes me to this page: https://support.1password.com/update-1password/. So that is the wrong link.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

As an additional comment--several times when I have commented on the issue described above I have said that my personal best practice for many years was to always copy the new password to the clipboard. Not the most secure practice, but I did it to avoid the issues described.

I was encouraged to use the built in capabilities of 1P that "should" make that unnecessary. And that seemed for a while to be true. But for whatever the cause, that is no longer a good idea, and the saving-to-clipboard is necessary as a way to work around the problem and avoid a lot of frustration.

• @jasimon9

I'm so sorry to hear that you're running into trouble when updating passwords on your Mac. You're absolutely right: you shouldn't need to copy and paste your password to avoid issues with generating and secure passwords in the browser. So that I can understand the issue a little bit better can you please tell me the following:

1. Can you send me an example of a website where this has happened? Do not send me your username or password, just the website URL for a website where the issue has occurred.
    2. Which browser are you using? Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or another browser?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. The website in this particular case is https://clik.tradingacademy.com/.
    2. Safari desktop browser.
  • Hey @jasimon9:

Thanks for sharing the specific site! Since it looks like we're unable to create an account there without physically going to one of the classes, the best next step is having you collect some page details of the specific page where 1Password in the browser didn't properly update and save the password there.

First, you'll need 1Password in the browser, so you'll need to use Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Brave with our newer extension installed: Get started with 1Password in your browser

After adding 1Password to whichever browser you decide on, navigate to the specific page where you update your password on this website, right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, then choose Help > Collect Page Structure. This will download a file containing what 1assword "sees" this page as. Attach this file in an email to support+x@1password.com, and include your username: jasimon9, and a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128534/1p-not-working-to-create-an-save-a-password#latest. This will let us locate it in our email system!

Jack

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

The problem happened while using Safari. You did not mention that in your list. Would I have to use one of those browsers? Not a problem as I have all of the ones listed; just wanting the best choice.

• Hey @jasimon9:

Currently the Safari extension included with 1Password 7 isn't able to collect page details, so while you can use 1Password for Safari to collect page details, it wouldn't integrate with 1Password 7 (only the upcoming 1Password 8). Using 1Password in the browser in one of the browsers I listed would be the smoothest and easiest experience.

Let me know!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.