What is the 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost process and why are the 70+ instances running?

Options
TwinTraveller
TwinTraveller
Community Member

I have a brand new, cleanly installed MacBookPro. I noticed a substantial performance decrease. While investigating the issue, I came across a process 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost. Activity monitor shows that there are dozens (79 when I counted them) of instances running. Each instance taking up approximately 6.5MB and around 10% CPU.
I can help but think that this is the smoking gun.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Just noticed that there’s other similar posts:

Strange that the search didn’t reveal their existence…

As this seems to be browser related, please note I’m using Wavebox, a chromium based browser. Already frustrating enough that 1Password refuses decent support for this browser, but this is simply ridiculous!

• Hello @TwinTraveller! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing performance issues with 1Password 7 on your Mac. Our developers are indeed investigating an issue with 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost and we hope to include a fix in a future update. In the meantime you can force quit all 1Password processes on your Mac and then restart 1Password to workaround the issue:

1. In the Finder, click Go menu > Utilities.
    2. Open Activity Monitor and click the CPU tab.
    3. Search for "1Password"
    4. Select all matching processes with ⌘–A or Edit menu > Select All.
    5. Click the 🛑 Stop button in the toolbar and Force Quit.
    6. When all processes disappear, reopen 1Password normally.

Thank you for reporting the issue and I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I've added your report to the internal tracking item that our developers have open. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/apple/issues#5654

• gary001
    gary001
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I have the same problem like @TwinTraveller, but the solution you provided does not help at all.

Even if I force quite all 1Password related process(1Password Extension Helper and many 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost).
    1Password Extension Helper can not be force quite and the 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost just keep coming out)

The problem happened about 1 month ago, and I now need to reboot my system everyday since 1Password processes has eaten up all CPU resources.

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for your response. As suggested in another thread, I’ve also disabled the “ Integrate with 1Password desktop app” setting. This seems to have stopped the issue from reoccurring.
    I don’t know how/why this was enabled in the first place. I certainly did not do it, and I would expect 1Password no keep this disabled if it doesn’t support integration, which is currently the case with Wavebox. Looking forward to 1Password 8 for that matter 😀

@gary001 perhaps disabling the “Integrate with 1Password desktop app” can be a temporary workaround for you?

• @TwinTraveller

Thank you for the reply. Disabling app integration will indeed provide a workaround for the issue since it will turn off the feature that is responsible for excessive 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost activity. App integration is enabled by default so that 1Password in the browser can communicate with the 1Password for Mac app.

@gary001

Let me know if temporarily disabling app integration helps:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser and click Settings.
    2. In the General section of the Settings screen, turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".

Our developers are still investigating the issue and hopefully we can release a permanent fix soon. 🙂

• mmaclow
    mmaclow
    Community Member
    Options

Just to note that I have had the same issue in Chrome Version 100.0.4896.60 (Official Build) (x86_64) on MacOS 12.2.1. The fixes suggested here appear to work around the problem successfully.

• Ben
    Options

The fixes suggested here appear to work around the problem successfully.

🎉 Thanks so much for sharing.

Ben

• charlton
    charlton
    Community Member
    Options

Adding that I'm also experiencing the same issue. It took me a few days to figure out why my computer was at a complete crawl. I was also seeing dozens, maybe hundreds, of SLSNativeMessageHost processes. Disabling app integration seems to have fixed this issue for now.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
    Chrome Extension Version: 2.3.2
    OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
    Chrome version: 100.0.4896.60

Hope that helps!

• louishothot
    louishothot
    Community Member
    Options

very bad. everyday I saw many 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost
    I need use terminal to force kill it
    pkill 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost
    I see 1password is getting worse and worse Since leaving Native technology

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022
    Options

@louishothot

This issue affects 1Password 7, which is an entirely "native" (no Electron) app. As far as I've seen, it does not affect 1Password 8. I do apologize about the difficulty with this. Our developers are investigating the root cause of the problem. In the meantime it may help to disable the integration between the app and the extension. I hope to have more to report soon. 🙏🏻

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi all,

We believe we've got this fixed up in 1Password for Mac 7.9.4. Please give that a try as soon as the update becomes available for you and let us know how it goes. It is available today for folks who update directly through the app, and will be available through the App Store as soon as it makes it through the submission & approval process.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.