1Password 8 Keeps Reverting to 1Password 7

Options
videoaaron
videoaaron
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password 8 last week, and I've had the same issue several time now where 1Password 8 (the main app, not the "1Password for Safari" app) will have apparently quit, deleted itself, and 1Password 7 is suddenly back in the Applications folder (despite me having deleted it). I've repeated the upgrade process a few times now in different ways (upgrading an existing 1P7 install, removing 1P7 then installing 1P8 as a fresh install, etc.) with the same results, usually within a day or two.

I'm using the 1P8 installer linked to when logged into 1Password.com, so whatever version of 1P8 that is... My 1P7 version is 7.9.5. I guess I'll stay on 1P7 until I can get some suggestions on what's going on.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.5 (70905003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.2.1

Comments

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

You are fortunate. Importing my data was a mess. I have several but not all items now duplicated. I can't figure out how to fix it and go back to version 7.

• Hey @videoaaron :

We'll need to take a closer look at how 1Password is currently set up. Can you send us a diagnostics report from your Mac ? Please follow the instructions under "1Password 7".

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Alvin

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hey @IAmPissed :

I'm sorry for the trouble you've experienced with duplicate items after upgrading to 1Password 8. The most likely explanation is that you originally had an old Primary vault (syncing through iCloud or Dropbox), then started a 1Password membership, copied the items from your Primary vault to your new account, and the old Primary vault didn't get deleted. Then, when 1Password 8 has installed, it will have automatically migrated the contents of your Primary vault again.

To solve this, here's what to do:
    1. Install 1Password. 7 from our website here: 1Password 7 for Mac.. Then open and unlock 1Password 7.
    1. Switch to your Personal (or Private) vault.
    1. Click the Help menu > Troubleshooting > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

Then, once the duplicates have been removed, delete the Primary vault:

1. From the menu bar, select Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    2. Then select Vault > Delete Vault.

Once your Primary vault is deleted, you can then remove 1Password 7 with the following steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password 7 app. Choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.

If you don't have a Primary vault, or if the steps above don't help, please let me know and I'll be happy to look into this further with you.

Alvin

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Alvin,

Thank you So very much. First, let mew apologize for being crabby. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me!

So Here is the problem, After switching to the Private/Personal vault, I clean up Duplicates as you tell me to do, but it tells me that there are no duplicates, yet I can clearly see duplicates (actually triplicates, see attached ss). On top of that, this vault list 553 items, but my Primary vault (in iCloud) has 911 items. So not only does the Private vault have triplicates of many items, it doesn't even have everything imported either. So, even if the "Clean Up Duplicates" command actually removed all of the triplicate items, I'm pretty sure that I won't want to delete the Primary (iCloud) vault with the full 911 items in it before actually importing it ALL correctly. Please see screenshot, and then advise me please.

Many, many, thanks,

Jim

• Hey @IAmPissed :

No worries at all - I completely understand your frustration. We'll need to take a closer look at how 1Password is currently set up. Can you send us a diagnostics report from your Mac?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com (change the 'To:' address to this one from the default). With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Alvin

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Alvin,

I sent you what you asked for, but I'm not getting anything from the BitBot Assistant. Yes, I checked the spam folder!

I also don't know this username you mention of billk69. Is this why I didn't hear from the bot?

Any other ideas how to get you this report?

Thank you, Jim

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Hello? Alvin?

• videoaaron
    videoaaron
    Community Member
    Options

@Alvin.L_1P You got it! Here's the support ID you asked for: [#KLM-27181-588]

• Hi @IAmPissed:

Thanks for following up. I've located your email to us, and it looks like one of my colleagues has recently replied to you. Please look for our response.

Jack

ref: CMY-12467-555

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Jack,

Yes, Catherine got me mostly fixed, and I have posted to Peter about it asking him a few more questions. Thanks for checking on me!

Jim

• Thanks so much @videoaaron ! I've located the ticket, and one of my colleagues will reply to you shortly.

Alvin

ref: KLM-27181-588

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Sorry I missed your previous messages @IAmPissed ! I'm glad to hear that our colleague, Catherine, has mostly resolved the issue.

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

So, I think the vault is all fixed, and now as I try to make the upgrade to version 8, I get this screen for hours and hours. This is naturally what happened that caused all of my troubles in the first place. Why won't this import my data from 7 into 8?

Thanks,

Jim

• Hey @IAmPissed :

The 1Password 8 for Mac app does not support standalone/Primary vaults which is why you're experiencing the installer issue. Before you can successfully install 1Password 8, you'll need to remove the Primary vault.

First, if you sign in to your account on my.1Password.com (in a web browser), is your data correct and complete or are you missing data?

Alvin

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

Well, interesting you say that. Now that Catherine helped me get the Private vault fixed, I did delete the Primary (iCloud) vault. I tried the upgrade again (without the Primary vault existing now) and it still hangs during importation.

Yes, signing into 1Password.com displays a perfect Private vault with all data intact. None missing, except for the attachments are missing in the web browser. They are in the Private vault in the version 7 app though. So, what do I need to do?

• Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.