1Password Extension for Chromium does not synchronize unlocked state with Windows App...

Options

... while Edge Extension, at the same time, using the same version, does (unlocked, like Windows App). Chromium based Wavebox browser stays locked until I manually enter password.
I have a very handy printscreen ready to illustrate the issue, but when I attach the printscreen, this forum is giving me an error: "You are not allowed to post attachments in this category. Please remove any attachments to proceed."

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

Printscreen

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Remo Have you enabled integration in the 1Password Chromium extension? 1Password browser icon -> All Accounts -> Settings -> Integrate with 1Password app

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

@rootzero Thank you for your answer. Yes, activated, in both the Windows App and the Extension.

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

Prinscreens are always terribly small, and it seems they cannot be opened/expanded; furthermore, posts cannot be deleted. I have seen better support forum software, but at least you have a support forum.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Remo My understanding is that you can only use 1Password with approved browsers. That is Brave, Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Safari.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Remo, @rootzero is correct about this. Wavebox is not an officially supported browser, so the extension may not work correctly with it or at all. We can add your voice to an internal feature request to support Wavebox. We can't make any promises on when or if this will be done, but our developers will definitely take a look and consider it.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Joy_1P for an official Team Member follow-up, appreciated.

And YES, please, add this as a feature request.

I do not see why you would want to exclude the Number 1 productivity browser on the market (Wavebox) with an amazing customer support and let them down by having to disappoint users repeatedly, only because 1Password decided to produce a strange security architecture. If the communication between the desktop app and the browser extension is not "safe", why offer it at all? If it is secure, why not offer it for all chromium-based browser?

Wavebox even created a knowledge base article about the issue, titled: "How do I get the 1Password extension to work in Wavebox?"

https://kb.wavebox.io/1password-extension/

stating:

"From a Wavebox code standpoint, we fully support the 1Password extension, are able to make requests to the 1Password desktop app, and we support all the same Chromium APIs as Chrome, Edge, Brave etc. So technically everything is in place for the 1Password desktop app to communicate with Wavebox. The break is, that the 1Password desktop app rejects any connection that isn't from an allowed browser (Chrome, Firefox etc).
    This is an active policy decision by 1Password and one they will only review as customers demand it - so it's worth making your requests heard by sending a quick note to the 1Password support forums to make sure your request is heard!"

After having used countless password managers in the past, I thought I finally found the "best" for my setup and bought an annual subscription, only to find out that 1Password is not compatible with my productivity setup (Wavebox) and I am extremely disappointed, but still hopeful. You can reach the Wavebox team here (Susan Davies): support@wavebox.io, they are ready to get this to work!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Remo thanks for your reply. At the moment, we're trying to focus on bigger players in the browser world with a more proven track record. However, we do understand that having a convenient way to save/fill your data in your chosen browser is important. Our developers are indeed aware of the requests for 1Password to support Wavebox, and it is something that is being considered. I just can't make any promises on this. That said, I will definitely pass along your thoughts to the entire team. We are always working to improve our product, and your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

Mostly, the Chrome-based browser extensions are 100% compatible with Google Chromium Browsers, too. I have not a single extension that is working in Chrome but not in Vivaldi or Wavebox. Do you?

Why is 1Password not compatible? What quirky "security" concept did your custom build make it incompatible and what purpose does it serve? I'm both a Vivaldi and Wavebox user (both Chromium) and switched all some twelve end devices/browsers from Bitwarden to 1Password, only to find that I have to login countless times every time my laptop gets locked. Unlocking with my Hello Webcam is super snappy, and now you come along with this BS. I'm super pissed.

Can I get my money back? I do no longer see a single reason why I should stay with 1Password, I have a painful buyer's remorse, not just because of the money, but because of all the time I spend to import all my passwords (had to do it in batches of 100s because 1Password would crash otherwise) and all the dozen or so extension installations on all the devices/mobile/tablets/browsers combination I'm using.

And Bitwarden was 10$, and for the extra 50$ I pay for 1Password per year I do not even get better customer support, but a lame ass "your feedback is sincerely appreciated" answer?

As a developer myself, I would AT LEAST appreciate an honest, technically founded, detailed explanation why this is so hard to implement. Just get it done guys, please! I paid 99$ for my work browser, Wavebox, and these guys take their customer not for granted and would be happy to help you with the implementation, a win-win for everybody! They have quite a few customers that are like me extremely upset to find that you do not - on purpose - support my Internet Browser of choice! People are different! People have different preferences! Why would you force us to use just the big players! That is how you become part of the problem, ousting independent developers with great ideas, which create a more productive browser like the team of Wavebox! And no, I'm not affiliated, I'm just a regular customer, that spent hours evaluating the best browser to get through the day organized and sane, was using it for over two years, no thought I found a password manager that worked even better on Android that Bitwarden - and BÄM. Dieser Mist.

For our common love of great tools and the freedom of choice in our tools, get me a dev from your team on the line @Joy_1P, will you? Please? Susan Davis from Wavebox, all Wavebox and Vivaldi Browser (and all the other Chromium-based browser that I might not know about) users would be delighted and forever in your debt. How do the next 20 years of yearly auto-renewed subscription of an added two hundred users sound that you do not push away? Would that make up for getting us something better than: "... it is something that is being considered"? A place on the backlog of the next release? A timeline maybe, even? Am I pushing my luck? I still love you; you know. But I am upset.

• susanwavebox
    susanwavebox
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Remo, Susan here Co-Founder at Wavebox. Thanks for taking the time to share your frustrations. Everything is ready to roll from a technical perspective here (and has been since 2019), so we're just waiting to be blessed by 1Password. Wavebox has been an established browser since 2016, with an ever-growing user base worldwide, Chromium release parity, and 4.8 Trustpilot rating. We will reach out to our direct contacts again to see if we can get this sorted out for our joint users.🤞🙏

• Hi @Remo:

Thanks for the feedback here. We genuinely wouldn't be here without feedback from users like you.

What I can say is that your feedback has brought the conversation back to the forefront. As to when or if you'll see a change, I simply don't have a timeline to share with you just yet.

Jack

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

❤️

• Remo
    Remo
    Community Member
    Options

And sorry for my foul language. 😳

• papascott
    papascott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks also from me (on Mac), longtime 1Password user and new Wavebox user!

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Tom from Wavebox here. I just want to say a quick thanks to the 1Password team for adding support for Wavebox. As a 1Password user myself, this makes life so much easier! :-)

• Hey @Remo / @papascott

Glad to hear you're all excited about Wavebox!

Just so you're aware, this is currently only available in the beta versions of 1Password: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Jack

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

The integration on Windows is now broken. It reports that Chrome is out of date, despite Wavebox using the latest Chromium. Full details are here https://1password.community/discussion/129633/1password-incorrectly-reports-wavebox-is-out-of-date/p1?new=1

@Jack.P_1P are you able to help?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @thomas8520! It looks like there was a fix for this in the newest beta, let us know if you need more help!

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm using 1Password 8.7.0 in combination with 1Password browser extension 2.3.4 in Wavebox Version 10.102.12.2 stable, Chromium 102.0.5005.61 on an Apple M1 Pro running macOS 12.4.
    I can't seem to get the integration to work despite having executed the steps documented in this post.

Am I to understand from the comments of @Jack.P_1P and @Joy_1P that unlocking the extension in Wavebox is currently still not working with 1Password 8.7.0 for Mac? In other words, I should just be more patient rather than trying to find a solution :) ?

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @TwinTraveller I'm using version 8.8.0 of the desktop app and this works. That version is on the beta channel - I wonder if it's only the beta versions of the desktop app that have support

• Hey @TwinTraveller:

As @Thomas8520 mentioned (thanks for the assist), currently, integrating with Wavebox requires using the beta version of 1Password 8. You can switch to the beta releases by following the steps here: Use 1Password beta releases

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P thanks for confirming that the integration with Wavebox is currently only available in the beta version. Unfortunately this is not an option for me.

• Hi @TwinTraveller:

Thanks for following up. As it currently stands, integrating 1Password in Wavebox and the 1Passsword desktop app does require using the beta or nightly releases. Thanks for your feedback on this, and we'll be sure to let you know if anything does change in regards to this.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.