Importing eWallet to 1Password 8.8.0 for mac [Solved]

Options
Jamesat14
Jamesat14
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

The MRC converter suite produced a .1pif file. 1Password for Mac 8.8.0 requested a .1pux file when importing.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jamesat14 ,

You will be in luck, as I’m just polishing the last parts of the 1PUX generator for the converter suite. Are you willing to be the first to try it, like my mother was nearly a decade ago?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jamesat14

Here's a conversion:

• Jamesat14
    Jamesat14
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to try it
    Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jamesat14

Sorry, I didn’t receive this message until late this evening

I’ll post a version for you tomorrow., and will update this thread when it’s ready. Our Internet will be down for a bit in the morning, hopefully for not too long.

I’m looking forward to your feedback.

• Jamesat14
    Jamesat14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I won’t be able to run it for 48 hours

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2022
    Options

@Jamesat14

Sorry again for the delay. I ran into something unexpected that I wanted to resolve.

At the download location for the converter suite, there is a folder named Custom. Inside of that there is an converter suite zip archive that has the 1PUX support.

Place the mrc-converter-suite-2022-08-21-1500.zip on your Desktop, unzip it, and follow the README.html directions. In the Convert section, use Method 2 Manually entering the command line. The command line will look something like this:

Note that my eWallet export test file name on the command line above differs from the README.

I have not yet updated the README for 1Password 8 / 1PUX yet. So any references to 1PIF or 1Password 7 will mean 1PUX and 1Password 8 for your usage. Also, the change log Changes.txt included in the zip archive is not fully updated nor formatted for the recent changes I've made.

When you import into 1Password 8, it will store the import into a new vault. That vault will be named Import M_C_S. You can convert / import as many times as you'd like, each time, you'll get a new vault with the same name. Just delete these vaults when you are done. 1Password 8 will force you to confirm the vault name. When you are satisfied with the conversion results, move those records into a vault of your choice, or rename the vault as you see fit.

All of my testing has been against the BETA version of 1Password 8 (e.g. 8.9.4). You are using version 8.8 I believe, and I quickly tested the import into 8.8 and it seems to work, but I have not yet tested against this version. Let's see how it works for you.

TL;DR

Regarding the "something unexpected" above. During my testing, I noticed a different behavior regarding 1Password 8 vs 1Password 7 and importing of 1PUX vs 1PIF. 1P7 (and earlier) would not tolerate empty fields values in the 1PIF, so the converter ensured that never happened. And 1P7, when you edit a record, will show you all the original category fields, even if the 1PIF did not contain such fields. This is good, because it meant that your categories would feel just like the category template you get when you create a new item.

But 1Password 8 behaves very differently. The UI will not show any fields that were not present in the 1PUX, when you edit the record. The record appears as if you'd deleted all those fields. This was unacceptable to me, so I had to ensure the 1PUX also contained empty values for the original template fields for each category. The converter code never had to do this before, so I had to devise a method during the conversion to inject those original fields, with empty values, into my data structure that manages the password manager's export data. And this was a little more complex that one might expect, since 1Password has a few different data types, each with their own requirements.

Because this change is fairly substantive, you might hit some edge case that my testing hasn't encountered. Hopefully not, but we'll address that if / when you do.

If there is an error during import, 1Password 8 will be of no help - it will just fail with a warning dialog indicating an import failure. I'll walk you through steps to discover the cause should this happen. Let's hope it doesn't!

• Jamesat14
    Jamesat14
    Community Member
    Options

MRC
    Thanks that worked well, the eWallet entries are all in 1Password. I can now tidy them up. I am very grateful for your support.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jamesat14 ,

That’s really great news! Thanks for your patience on this.

Enjoy 1Password, and the distinction of knowing you are the first user to convert to 1PUX using the converter suite!

This discussion has been closed.