Windows Desktop Application showing blank screen.

Options
Purk
Purk
Community Member

I have been using the desktop application for several months with no issues, but this morning every time I try to open 1password I am presented with this empty window. Things I have tried so far:

• Rebooting
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling 1password
  • Removing 1password folder from AppData/Local
  • Launching with --disable-gpu flag
  • Installed all Windows updates as well as graphics driver updates

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• xafyr
    xafyr
    Community Member
    Options

I started running into this same issue today as well. It was working perfectly fine yesterday, but today I can't get past this blank screen. I also attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the app (deleting all traces from %appdata% and elsewhere) and rebooting, but it hasn't solved the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi @xafyr / @Purk:

Thanks for letting us know about this! This is something we're investigating, and this should get you sorted out:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your system tray > Quit.

2. Type the following into your Windows search bar, and hit Enter: %localappdata%\1Password\settings

3. Open the settings.json file and look for "appearance.useSystemAccentColor": true,.

4. If it is present, change it to "appearance.useSystemAccentColor": false,. If it's not present, add "appearance.useSystemAccentColor": false to the bottom of the settings list.
      Note: Be sure to also add a comma at the end of the preceding setting, for instance:

{
    "app.double":false,
    "appearance.useSystemAccentColor": false
    }

1. Save the file, then attempt to launch and use 1Password again.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#17021

• xafyr
    xafyr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the workaround! I tried it and things seem to be working normally again.

Cheers!

xafyr

• Purk
    Purk
    Community Member
    Options

Jack,

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

-purk

• Epyon
    Epyon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this workaround. I had the same issue and it solved it. Double thumbs up and many thanks to you, Jack.P_1P. Thank you Purk for asking the question.

• Strugglechen
    Strugglechen
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, yesterday my 1Password is working fine , today i have only greyscreens, i try to install it over and i have deinstall and reinstall it, nothing worked, a windows restart i have tryed too

1Password Version: 8.9.4
    Extension Version: 2.3.7
    OS Version: Windows 10 21H2
    Browser:_ Edge or Opera
    Referrer: forum-search:Greyscreen

• Strugglechen
    Strugglechen
    Community Member
    Options

this is my 1password Window

• Strugglechen
    Strugglechen
    Community Member
    Options

reddit is the same issue too

https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/x4pes7/bug_1password_windows_app_completly_grey/

from another user, i am on the stable Version of release i dont change anything, please help

• Hi folks!

The issue seems to be related to the new support for the Windows accent colors that we adapt our UI to blend in more with Windows.

We are not able to reproduce this issue on our side. We would like to ask for your help to see if we can get more information from your systems to figure this out.

If you can help us, please email us at support+windows@1Password.com and in the email body, include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/133336/windows-desktop-application-showing-blank-screen

Let us know here if you've emailed us, so we can look for that email and work with you on this.

Thanks!

• Hi @Strugglechen,

I've merged your post here, please see Jack's post above: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/655674/#Comment_655674 for the quick workaround related to turning off the Windows accents color support via the settings file.

• Strugglechen
    Strugglechen
    Community Member
    Options

its working, appearance.useSystemAccentColor": false , solve the Problem :)

• RedFirebreak
    RedFirebreak
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm, the "appearance.useSystemAccentColor": false , solved this issue instantly. Thanks!

• Hi folks,

Is anyone using Wallpaper engine or a pure black accent color (#000000)?

• kristifarinelli
    kristifarinelli
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thanks for the fix, @Jack.P_1P ! Worked for me.

@MikeT , no wallpaper engine, but I am using black for my theme color and got the blank window issue after restart this morning. Just sent an email to support with details as requested.

• Hi folks,

We've just shipped an update to fix this now in 1Password 8.9.5 for Windows.

Once updated, you should be able to switch the accent colors back on without it going blank (it's in 1Password Settings > Appearance > Use device accent colors):

• Strugglechen
    Strugglechen
    Community Member
    Options

thank you , everything works fine :) have a great day!

• Hey @Strugglechen, on behalf of Mike you're most welcome! I'm glad to hear everything is working well for you 😄

Take care and have a wonderful day!

Ali

This discussion has been closed.