1Password 8 Freezes Chrome when unlocking

Options

This happens sometimes, but it's very very annoying (Chrome freezes entirely for 5-10 seconds):
Chrome v105.0.5195.125
Extension v2.3.8
MacOS v12.5.1
1Password8 - 8.9.4

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: MacOS v12.5.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

Same with me, once Chrome even crashed in the process...

• Hey @classz, @trollfred,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in the browser. If you continue to experience this issue I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I've done all of that + sent the email, but haven't received an automated response yet - checked my spam folder as well...
    (It's been about an hour)

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Finally got the reply:

AGV-85348-386

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles
    Hi Steph!
    From what I have observed, the problem is not created by the new Chrome extension, but by the old "classical" one (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk).

I can tell that, because when I remove the new Chrome extension, the problem persists. And the hang happens when I press CMD+\ which is the shortcut for the legacy old extension.

Another thing is that even if I remove the old/classical extension from the browser, I still get autofill functionality (or hang) with CMD+\ shortcut, which means, that the extension does not get removed from the browser completely.
    Another thing is with or without the legacy extension installed, if 1Password app is not running, there is no autofill and no hang happening, but if 1Password app is running, sometimes autofill works, but most of the time Chrome just hangs for a long time.

So I have two questions basically - first one and the most important - how to properly remove the legacy extension from Chrome.
    And the second one - do you intend to fix legacy extension or you are not supporting it any more and suggest to switching to the new one?

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

@trollfred - I have one extension installed only (v2.3.8) with ID = aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa.
    Do you mean you have two 1Password Chrome extensions installed?

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

@classz have you ever had that old classic legacy extension installed in the past?

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure how old that one is - I've been using 1Password for about a year, since v7

• @trollfred

It's best to only have any one version of our extensions installed at any given time in a specific browser. Legacy extensions would generally be no longer supported. I would recommend using 1Password in the browser.

Install and manage extensions - Chrome Web Store Help should help with removal. Make sure tour data is safe inside the Mac app and you have a backup, if you're using standalone setup. I suspect so with the classic extension.

If you're using a membership make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

@classz

In your opening post you mentioned 12.5.1 and 12.6 is available. Consider updating when you can. I can confirm we have your support request.

ref: AGV-85348-386

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I have uninstalled all extensions exactly like that article says. But the autofill is still working with CMD+\
    How can that be possible?

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

To be precise, autofill works approximately first 30 seconds after Chrome launches. After that time CMD+\ makes Chrome hang, like for several minutes. Sometimes forever until you force quit chrome.

If 1Password app is not running, CMD+\ does nothing, no autofill, no hang

This is weird......

• Are you using 1Password 8. If so, you might be getting a prompt from quick access. Can you share a screenshot of what you see? Please make sure to cover any sensitive information such as passwords.

Get to know Quick Access or Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac which seems like the likely method here.

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Right, that's it, if I disable 1Password in Accessibility preferences, it stops working. But it seems like this functionality is making my Chrome hang then 😭
    I will collect logs and send them then

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy I've sent diagnostics report to support+forum@1password.com but never received a response. I've sent from - removed - . After app start first autofill was working with chrome, then it was causing chrome hang. I hope something can be found there.

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy MWL-86514-932!

• Thanks @trollfred

ref: MWL-86514-932

• enkeboll1pass
    enkeboll1pass
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates for this issue? It sounds like I've got the exact same issue, and I'd love to know how to fix it. Mac 12.6 (m2 proc), 1password 8.9.4 (80904044, on PRODUCTION channel), 1password for chrome 2.3.8, chrome 106.0.5249.103 (Official Build) (arm64).

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy - any updates regarding this extremely annoying issue? It's still occurring and really making switching to other solutions :(

• It looks as if the issue remains open on our end. We know this is causing you trouble and we see it too in our use. I'm sorry for all of us being in this situation. From what I can see this looks like an interaction with Chrome and we've been discussing this with their team. I'm afraid I don't have insight into where the issues stands as far as a resolution time frame is concerned.

• BBrenner13
    BBrenner13
    Community Member
    Options

Is it the integration with the Chrome browser extension causing the issue? If so, could we just remove or disable that? I'm almost to the point of switching to Safari as my default browser.

• heyman
    heyman
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi!

I'm also having problems with similar symptoms on an M2 mac with latest stable versions of 1password and Chrome.

• ghindle
    ghindle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

This is becoming one of the most annoying parts of my day! I work on multiple client sites every day so find myself logging in and out of many many sites using the Quick Access shortcut, however, recently it has started to become unusable.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel on this issue as I feel the issue is getting worse not better.

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @ghindle - it feels like 50% of the times it either freezes Chrome or just shows up a weird "Fill once / update login" dialog and then doesn't work

• dszczyt
    dszczyt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having the same trouble described here, on a M1 mac, 1password 8 + chrome extension, everything up to date, but on Monterey.

• nickkk
    nickkk
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

same here. have been using 1Password for 6 years and now is very difficult / painful to use it with it freezing for so long

is there any fix? workaround?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
    Extension Version: 2.4.1
    OS Version: MacOS v12.5
    Browser: Chrome (107.0.5304.87 (Official Build) (arm64))

MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Pro, 2021)

• @BBrenner13, @heyman, @ghindle, @classz, @dszczyt, and @nickkk

Our developers are still investigating this issue and I'm sorry for the inconvenience that it is causing. It appears that the nightly "Canary" version of Chrome no longer runs into this issue based on some of the testing that our team has been doing. We're continuing to look into this.

Thank you again for your patience, while I'm not able to provide any sort of forecast as to when we'll be able to resolve this issue, I can tell you that we're aware that it's something in need of fixing. I hope you can understand.

-Dave

• ulitiy
    ulitiy
    Community Member
    Options

This is unacceptable. Being a developer I fully understand how it works and you should have rolled back the versions months ago. It's not a minor issue you can hope to solve some day, it's absolutely broken product for a significant portion of paying users.

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

I have downgraded to 1Password 7, and although I'll keep my eye on version 8 for improvements, I'm exploring competitors at this point.

Edit: which breaks my heart. 1Password has been my "ride or die" for years.

• RD1
    RD1
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thank you. I switched to Canary for the last couple days and can confirm the problem seems to be solved. Not one freezes appears in my testing.

This discussion has been closed.