Why did 1Password 8 auto-lock?

Options
martinliss
martinliss
Community Member

In my security settings I don't have Auto-Lock> Lock after... checked but it auto-locked after 10 minutes anyhow.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same experience when I updated yesterday. I found the place to alteer it in Preferences > Security in the Auto-lock section. Below the checkbox for "Lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users" is the item "Lock after the computer is idle for..." You can pick your chosen interval from the drop down menu, including Never.

• Hi @hakwmoth, thanks for this helpful explanation. That's what I would suggest, too.

@martinliss are you able to achieve the desired lock behavior after adjusting that 10 minutes setting to never?

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I was but I think your UI has a design flaw in that normally if there a checkbox, the option under it only applies if the checkbox is checked, but in 1Password's UI the "Lock after..." option is independent of the checkbox. so I never thought to look at the drop-down.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thank you, @martinliss. It's good to know that the option works for you, and I will pass on your feedback about the UI design to the appropriate folks.

ref: dev/core/core#15540

• kenka433
    kenka433
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Auto-lock is not checked, but 1P locks when my Mac is idle. I haven't timed it to see if 4 hours is when it happens.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @kenka433, thanks for letting us know about this. They are indeed two different settings, so you should be able to go to 1Password > Preferences > Security and set "Lock after computer is idle for never" and that effectively disables that setting. Let me know if it works for you! 👍

• kenka433
    kenka433
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, everything is good now.

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Can you add a 24 hour auto-lock option on top of the 8 hour? Thanks.

Can't figure out how to delete this post but saw my similar post in a beta thread was seen so no need to reply to this. Thanks.

• On behalf of Peter, you're very welcome @kenka433!

Jack

• B0neDaddy
    B0neDaddy
    Community Member
    Options

I've just migrated to 8. The auto-lock after X idle minutes feature has changed. I am no longer able to enter the amount of time I prefer. In fact, this change has made 1Password either more annoying or less secure for me.

In my situation, I do like having auto-lock on ... but after 12 hours. Generally speaking, I don't particularly like having to enter my complex and long password very often, and I've deemed that 12 hours splits my balance between risk and annoyance. 8 hours is too short, and Never is too long. Why has the ability to select a custom time been taken away?

• Thanks @B0neDaddy

I've added your voice to our feature request.

This discussion has been closed.