1password 8 is a step back

Options
2»

Comments

• noirsette
    noirsette
    Community Member
    Options

I just can't use this new version. Too many workflows are obliterated - search is seemingly hard locked to searching from the beginning of a word, so grabbing my otp for one of the vpn connections i use for work now requires me to remember the whole name instead of just 'vpn'.
    Accessing that otp is no longer 1 click, typing, and copying the code, it's clicking, typing the first letters of the name, opening an entirely new screen, copying the code when it eventually tells me how much time is left (why does this take 5 seconds to render?!) and then putting it where I need it.

Adding more steps to achieve things makes something worse, not better.

• Hi @noirsette:

What may help in this situation is pinning your one-time password for your VPN, so it's always available from the home screen of 1Password 8. Open your VPN Login item, then long press your one-time password. Choose Pin to Home. Now it will always be available from the home screen to tap and copy.

Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, we're making some improvements to search (specifically substring search) that would enable you to search for "vpn" and find matching results.

Jack

• CMYKirk
    CMYKirk
    Community Member
    Options

Until search works at all... I am back to v7. The problem is if this takes long, I am liable to find an alternative. I have been a paying subscribers for a few years now and completely disappointed with the newest version... I don't even like the looks of it and it is certainly not an improved update of v7, it obliterates it.

• busdriverBob
    busdriverBob
    Community Member
    Options

I agree this 8 is a mess. Why do they feel the need to change. 7 had a much simpler user interface. All your main subjects were listed nicely (logins,credit cards,secure notes) now you have to click around to find the category. Why would you want a “all” which mixes logins with secure notes…what a mess.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Was going to create a new post but I'll add on here: Why is the suggested login to a site a 'password' type and not an actual login? I've had this issue before where the password records should not be used for anything and wish they could be hidden somehow, as they are not useful at all.

We used to get a login suggested and now get a password record suggested.

• Hi @leesweet:

Are you running into this with 1Password for Safari on iOS or somewhere else? Let me know.

Jack

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

That was Safari, yep. Just tried it with several websites, and got financialjuice.com to fail, offering the password first as a login choice.

• Hi @leesweet:

Thanks for following up. I realize that I mixed up your question, and thought you were referring to creating new items, not using existing items so I'd like to apologize for that. This is something that we've made some improvements on, and hopefully should be available very soon.

In the meantime, archiving any Password items that are no longer relevant would be your best bet.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#16226

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update!

• zemo
    zemo
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hello,
    @Jack.P_1P
    Any luck with "searching" engine for ipassword8 for IOS users ? One month passed and there is not improvements available :(
    Please check my previous post:
    "Searching works also worse than it was before on v7 (iOS apple iphone). Previously searching for words I was getting more results. Now im not able to find some logins quickly:
    Eg: Mybenefit
    V7 - was able to find it using my or just benefit
    V8 - searching word benefit gives nothing"

Its very hard to search anything if you have a big numbers of logins ...even simple thing like - searching a word "multi" and in the vault have "emulti" and the search does not find anything.

Thank you in advance for looking into that regression and providing a fix.

• ourfamily
    ourfamily
    Community Member
    Options

How would I go back to 1P7?
    I am still disliking 1P8.
    When I try to log into 1P8, then go to use it to log into an app or site, it usually asks me to log into 1P8 again. I have to switch between the open 1P8 app and copy/paste my password.
    I also miss the PIN option to log in.
    I am often frustrated with the Safari functionality, too. Not sure if updates to the desktop app requires me to update the 1P8 version, re-downloading and installing the app, or if it’s just our older computer.
    I am quite frustrated with 1Password now.

• Hi @zemo:

Thanks for following up. While I can't promise when specifically substring search will be available for 1Password 8 for iOS, what I can tell you is it's currently available in the production release of 1Password 8 for Mac, so I'm hopeful those improvements will be available soon for 1Password 8 for iOS.

Hi @ourfamily:

Are you having trouble with 1Password 8 on your Mac, or an iPhone or iPad? Let me know.

Jack

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member
    Options

It is a step-back. If you look at the 1P8 rating 3.7 - this is just terrible.

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly You're not kidding. Right now the iOS app store shows a 2.9 rating with over 1000 votes.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-8-password-manager/id1511601750.

That's pretty bad. This shows that AbileBits hasn't been listening to users. This appears to be widespread disgruntledness toward the new version -- for good reason. The project management on this failed.

• Scott2
    Scott2
    Community Member
    Options

I have some sympathy for the teams at AgileBits - there's a financial reality to software development, and I get why they made the decision to unify their core and implement as much reusability between platforms as possible. That's a hard choice. I even understand that there's a point where you have to roll out the new app and cut off the old one, because maintaining two apps costs both money and time, and the longer you do both the slower you go. I also appreciate that they didn't hard deprecate v7, allowing those of us who don't like v8 to stay.

What I struggle with is the reduced efficiency - extra clicks to do this, extra taps to do that. MAJOR regressions in search capability / UX. And the requirement to keep the 1Password Mac OS menu bar icon enabled or suffer MORE extra clicks caused me to go out and buy a Bartender license. That's right - I spent $16 USD so that I DON'T HAVE TO SEE THAT USELESS MENU BAR ICON. All this and the most we get from AgileBits is "sorry search is broken, but hey, look here - our new version matches your system accent color!!".

But I think what jars me the most - and frankly, keeps me coming back to this forum to find complaint threads - is Knox. I'm sorry 1P team, I know you love your new design language, but for me it's completely inconsistent with the Mac UI (far more a Dear John letter than a love letter, for sure) and a constant reminder of all the other changes in v8 that frustrate me.

I really hope v9 resolves a lot of this, and I REALLY hope it's right around the corner. 1Password is still the best password manager out there - I just can't get used to being irritated every time I use it.

• ourfamily
    ourfamily
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning, Jack. I have issues with 1P8 on my phone and our macMini. In Safari on the macMini (latest OS updates), the autofill shows the item I want to autofill the login, but it will not autofill. I have had to remove and reinstall the plug-in a few times, or go to the App and copy/paste, because the plug-in does not work.
    On my iPhone 13 Pro (OS before Monday's launch of the latest iOS), you still have the PIN option missing that was very useful. Using 1P8 to log into some browsers, when I have already logged into 1P8, the plugin asks me to log in, instead of letting me just click Autofill. Quite annoying App behavior, in both cases.

• rumblepants
    rumblepants
    Community Member
    Options

How do I get version & back ? This version 8 is rubbish. Delete an entry and it doesn’t delete still appears in list. Can’t open web pages in the app anymore, can’t use it in Firefox, every entry needs authorisation, so some web sites need password to open for each field
    It’s just crap.

• zemo
    zemo
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P
    Finaly the search mechanizm works as previously ;) Thank you!

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    Options

Those that have common sense and want to get the old version back, at least on the iPhone you can go to the App Store purchases and reinstall it.

Honestly it feels like IPW8 was released without a single person using it. The usability is terrifying horrific, in particular if compared with version 7.
    If something was achieved in the background by rewriting the code idk, maybe made devs happy, but as usual the customer ux was left adrift.
    I guess version 8 is the pinnacle of those blog posts you do every time a new iOS version comes with a feature and you hammer it in the app with a spike, even though it’s completely useless.

I will not reinstall to take screenshots, but I couldn’t even create a new password because of the pop up menus that blocked the important things in the back that you need to click…
    Anyways, I’m back on version 7 until it works. And probably will explore other options before going to 8 - which I’m also lobbying at my job.

This discussion has been closed.