Impossible to search within Archive??

Options
dgbeecher
dgbeecher
Community Member

I'm looking for an item that I know is in my Archive. (I just put it in there and I can find it if I scroll far enough.) But if I click on the Archive and search for this item, it does not appear in the search drop-down, and if I click "Show all matching items", the item does not appear in that list of results either. However, items outside the Archive do appear -- which surprises me, as I thought that clicking on the Archive would limit the search to the Archive.

Is there any way to limit the search to the Archive? Is there any way to search the Archive at all?

I would also have expected some sort of message at the bottom of general search results saying something like "matching items can be found in the Archive -- would you like to extend your search there?" ... but no such message appears.

I just can't figure out how to search the Archive. This seems like such a basic feature that I find it hard to believe that it would really be impossible. Please help.

1Password Version: 80800119
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

Just resurfacing this old post of mine, which never got a response -- though I expect the response to be "we have passed the request on to the developers". I hope we are not waiting for enough +1 votes on the forums for this to be implemented. Because it is really nonsensical that this feature does not exist, regardless of the level of stated "demand" there is. And anyway, there does seem to be lots of demand (including many separate forum posts asking for the same thing), so I hope it is a high priority for the team.

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

With the Archive selected, use ctrl+alt+f or cmd+opt+f to show a find field for the current list of items. You can use that to filter just in the Archive.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much! That works.

I'm very glad it is possible to filter the Archive. But it is a bit of hidden feature.

It would make sense that selecting the Archive in the sidebar, and then using the "Search" command, would search the Archive, just like it does when selecting a vault (ie, "=vault:Personal" appears in the Search bar).

It would also be nice if the alternative "Find" command were accessible via the UI. Currently I see no icon for it. Perhaps a find/filter button could live next to the Sort button at the top of the item list.

• I appreciate the assist here, @Fooligan!

@dgbeecher, I'm happy to hear this suggestion helped. You can find this along with other 1Password keyboard shortcuts here. I've included a +1 for you regarding your request about using the search command for the Archive and the additional of Find button in the UI. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-929
    ref: IDEA-I-2116

• 1pforme
    1pforme
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here also. the search comment is useful (glad to find it), but to be in the UI would make things much clearer - thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks @1pforme

I'll let the team know you could make use of an improvement here.

ref: PB-32529045

• CacheFlow
    CacheFlow
    Community Member
    Options

I love it. As long as we have a filter option or if Archive had its own separate search, this would be great.

• @CacheFlow

Thank you for the suggestion, I've passed it along to the team as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-32537489

This discussion has been closed.