Why does the call link not work

Options
hifiwizard
hifiwizard
Community Member

Clicking on the phone number in an account does not set up a phone call.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Why does the call link not work

Comments

• Hey there, @hifiwizard

Clicking almost any field (except websites) will copy the information to the clipboard, including phone numbers. However, if you click the 🔽 down arrow in the field, you'll see a Call option there:

That will then open FaceTime to make the call. On an iPhone, tapping and holding the field will do the same thing:

Give those things a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• hifiwizard
    hifiwizard
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to say that I am very familiar with it and have used it scores and scores of times. I should say this is when I am phoning from the laptop. I know when somebody has an iPhone because it causes the Contacts entry to light up blue.

However it doesn't always work on the FaceTime line. It does work usually opposite the phone number above the FaceTime line.

• @hifiwizard

There are a few things to check, in that case. One is that the phone number is in the full international format:

+ country code phone number

For example, the North American style of phone number, 212-555-1212, would need to be converted to +12125551212 to give it the best chance of working, like in my Amex example.

☞ Note the removal of the dashes between groups.

In other countries, are codes often start with a 0, so this needs to be dropped. A mobile phone number in the UK might look like 07000 123456, but would need to be stored as +447000123456.

Assuming the phone number is shown as above, with only numbers and no symbols, the FaceTime app on your Mac should be able to handle it. If the phone number isn't a FaceTime number, it can route the call through your iPhone's cellular connection: Make and receive phone calls in FaceTime on Mac – Apple Support

You'll also need to check that the field containing the phone number is of the "Phone" type. If you're having trouble with a particular phone number in an item, click Edit, then "+ add more", then "Phone" and add the phone number into that new field and see if that helps.

Hopefully some combination of those things will get things working as they should.

• hifiwizard
    hifiwizard
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for taking that trouble.
    My success rate is patchy and it may well be that one or more of your suggestions will improve success rate.
    Regards

Jeremy

• hifiwizard
    hifiwizard
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, another point – when I do edit the number to follow your instructions above, storing it without any dashes or spaces, the Contacts app then returns to its default mode with spaces so that it's easier to read.

• @hifiwizard – Glad to help! And yes, the Contacts app on your Mac will usually add some spaces to phone numbers in international format for readability. :)

• Roaming_Bob
    Roaming_Bob
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P - I just posted a feature request that phone fields get autoformatted in a user's preference for more readable formats, e.g. +1 (555) 555-5555. I can verify that when these delimiters are included in a phone field, the field can't execute a call via the dropdown menu (on my iPhone). Thought if the delimited content is copied, the content can be pasted in to make a call.
    The Contacts app under Mac OS or iOS does this automatic formatting and can handle the formatted numbers to make calls.
    It would be far more elegant if 1Password could do the same.

• @Roaming_Bob — Thanks for getting in touch. It looks like the Phone or FaceTime apps don't know what to do when the phone number contains non-number symbols, except +. I've filed a report about this for our development team to investigate and to see what we can do. I've also filed a feature request for auto-formatting phone numbers on your behalf, so I'll close your other thread to avoid duplication. :)

ref: dev/core/core#18744
    ref: IDEA-I-2307

This discussion has been closed.