=untagged not working

Options
Reeze
Reeze
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Windows

I tried to search for all my untagged entries by using the "=untagged" function in the search bar.
I'm using version 8.9.5 in german language setting.
I click "all objects" on the sidebar, press ctrl + f, and enter "untagged" in the search bar, followed by pressing ctrl+enter
Result is "0 results for "=untagged"

From all what I have seen on other posts and questions this should work.
And yes - I double checked that I have some untagged entries :-)

Any ideas or clues what I might be doing wrong?

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @Reeze,

Thanks for your message and reporting this behaviour with the =untagged function while using the German language setting in 1Password 8. Likewise, I've been able to reproduce this behaviour and have passed these details along to the team to investigate!

ref: dev/core/core#17481

• Reeze
    Reeze
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_mike_d
    thanks for getting back to me and letting me know that it is indeed an issue!
    Looking forward to a solution somewhat in the future! :-)
    Best regards

• You're most welcome, @Reeze! 👍

• BugCollector
    BugCollector
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I, too, am unable to get the search term "=untagged" to work in either the app or the website. I am on a Windows 11 PC up to date with 1Password for Windows 8.9.10 (80910043), using the Chrome browser.
    This Support Community site has multiple "solutions" from 1Password Team Members that do not work, mostly suggesting putting the term "=untagged" or "tag:" (that is, "tag:" with nothing after it) into the Search box next to the magnifying glass. I have All Items and All Categories both selected . None of these solutions does anything to find untagged items. My full list of items just sits there.

• Hello @BugCollector,

Thanks for your report and sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced.

I've done some testing with this version of 1Password for Windows desktop app version 8.9.10 (80910043) and not seeing any issues. I've included the guide below which explains how this works from within the app - Search 1Password to find what you need - Search filters. This functionality is not available on 1Password.com or 1Password in the browser.

My previous messages where related to a known issue with the German language setting in the 1Password 8 desktop app. If you are having further difficulties with the =untagged functionality in the 1Password 8 for Windows desktop app, could you provide some additional detail about if you are using a different language setting or setup 1Password under a different language and since changed to English?

Looking forward to your reply.

• BugCollector
    BugCollector
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thanks, ag_mike_d.
    Since I posted my report I was able to discover how =untagged works on the desktop app. One has to know there is a dropdown list of filter choices to get to the =untagged function. Otherwise the Search display can seem not to have done anything.
    I will see if the Community site will allow me to edit my original post to clarify that the problem is not on the app, only in the browser version.
    It would be nice if the =untagged filter option could be added to the browser version. Thanks again.

• BugCollector
    BugCollector
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, ag_mike_d.
    Responding to your request for additional detail with respect to the Chrome browser extension of 1Password:
    1. I'm not aware of having changed any of my Windows 11 settings to German language. I do have German and Spanish language packs installed for Microsoft Office but only use it in Microsoft Word.
    2. I am using 1Password for Windows 8.9.10 (80910043) in my desktop app, so I assume the Chrome extension is also up to date.
    3. I've inserted a screenshot of the Chrome 1Password extension not returning any results for "=untagged" :

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

The search filter keywords are translated. I'm using German as language, and if I select a thing on the sidebar and press ctrl-F, these filters will appear:

Favorites -> =favorit:
    Category -> =kategorie:Logins
    Vault -> =tresor:Personal

You see the keywords are translated (favorit instead of favorite, kategorie instead of category, tresor instead of vault.
    Since we do not know to what "untagged" is translated to, we cannot use this search filter while using German as 1Password language.
    In my opinion, these keywords should not be translated or at least accept both the english (documented) keywords as well as translated keywords.
    ps.
    From browsing the 1Password binaries with a hex editor, I found out "untagged" is translated as "unmarkiert", und using =ummarkiert: actually works as search filter instead of =untagged:

This only works in the desktop app. The browser plugin completely ignores any =searchkeyword: search command.

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello again @BugCollector,

I'm happy to hear that you've discovered how to use the =untagged feature in the desktop app. As mentioned previously, and by @Tertius3 (thanks for the assist), this functionality doesn't exist in 1Password in the browser. We do have a feature request opened and I've shared your thoughts with the Product team.

ref: IDEA-I-500

From browsing the 1Password binaries with a hex editor, I found out "untagged" is translated as "unmarkiert", und using =ummarkiert: actually works as search filter instead of =untagged:

Thanks for these details, @Tertius3 - I'll pass this along to @Reeze and the team!

ref: dev/core/core#17481

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Tertius3

Good finding! It works great. 👍

That should be fine as a workaround.

• Thanks for letting us know, @DenalB - glad to see you have this working!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d
    Yeah, but it's hard to find out how this works. And I think I'll forget how it works when I try searching in a few months ... 🤔

• Hello @DenalB,

I hope you had a great weekend. I wanted to point out @Tertius3 's findings as a current workaround for using the =untagged feature in the case of using German. Since the function doesn't match the German translation, I've included these details for the development team so that improvements can be made. We appreciate this feedback!

This discussion has been closed.