Please fix PayPal 2FA auto-fill (bug: 6 identical digits)

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Can you please fix PayPal 2FA auto-fill?

Currently it always enters the same single digit 6 times, instead of the real 2FA code.

I have definitely seen this on macOS, but I think it happened to me on Windows and iOS/iPadOS as well.

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @XIII !

Is it fixed for you? I don't have any problems auto-filling the 2FA code on PayPal in Vivaldi browser on Windows 11.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately not...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Which browser are you using and which extension? Stable or beta? I'm using beta build 2.4.7 of the Chrome extension. But it has some other issues, that's why I'm thinking about switching back to stable release. πŸ€”

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options
    • macOS Monterey 12.6
    • Safari Version 16.0 (17614.1.25.9.10, 17614)
    • 1Password for Safari 2.3.8
    • 1Password for macOS 8.9.4 (Production Channel)
  • DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. This configuration is much different than mine ... πŸ˜‰

• @XIII

I cannot reproduce this with the same exact specs. That said, I went looking because I recall seeing this reported before. I was unable to locate an issue or my memory is wrong. I have faith in the memory. πŸ˜‰ Are you using the .com site or another? I have an itch this was specific to another domains than .com. At any rate, I'll get a new issue filed and we can sort it on our end if needed. If you'd let me know if this is on .com etc. Thanks.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

.com indeed.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

If I lived in the US (but I don't) I would no longer need it:

https://newsroom.paypal-corp.com/2022-10-24-PayPal-Introduces-More-Secure-Payments-with-Passkeys

When will 1Password support WebAuthn?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

They do seem to support a single YubiKey now, but no Passkey yet?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2022
    Options

I looked for the Passkey support. Articles mentioned it would be offered on the next login. I have yet to discover it, nor has it been offered.

I did just try the autofill of the OTP. It worked in Safari / Monterey for me in v7, and Safari / Ventura in v8. US.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Any update on this?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2022
    Options

@XIII

Sorry no.

I still cannot reproduce this. On the Mac (13.0.1) I tried with Safari (2.4.1) and Chrome (2.5.0) while using both the button/inline menu and also Universal Autofill, all with no trouble. I switched to my phone and used (iOS 16.1.1) Safari browser and password autofill which also filled correctly. I also gave the Paypal app a go and when prompted to paste the 2fa code it worked without a hitch.

Are there any additional details you can provide me? I never located the previous issue I recalled. That said, I still hold firmly I saw something like this but I just cannot find it. Have you tried creating a new login, by chance?

• During my testing I used my personal account and I am in the US.

edit - fix wrong version number.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Still happens for me... (every time)

Current setup:

• macOS 12.6.2
    • Safari Version 16.2 (17614.3.7.1.7, 17614)
    • 1Password for Mac 8.9.11 (80911019)
    • 1Password for Safari 2.4.1
  • Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII are you able to reproduce the behavior and then send us the following so that we can investigate further?

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed toΒ support@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.Β Please post that number here. Thanks!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Will try.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with sending a > 1 MB diagnostic report that's too large to inspect for privacy issues.

The extension console log seems not very helpful:

[Info] [BackgroundStorage] Using PersistentStorage (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [BackgroundStorage] Using MemoryStorage (background.js, line 2)
    [Log] πŸ‘‹ Initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] channel: stable (background.js, line 2)
    version: 2.4.1
    build: 20226 (16.2)
    browser: Safari (16.2)
    [Info] πŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ‘ Finished initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 0 account(s) from a Desktop app with 0 unlocked and 1 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <Nothing> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Loaded page details in 12.999999999970896 ms. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Analyzed the page in 2 ms. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Received <LockStateChanged> from the native core (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Received <LockStateChanged> from the native core (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Hooray!; Unlocked account REDACTED with MUK; πŸŽ‰ (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 1 account(s) from a Desktop app with 1 unlocked and 0 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] Started Desktop Lock Monitor at REDACTED (Connected to desktop app). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 0 account(s) from a Desktop app with 1 unlocked and 0 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestDelegatedSession> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestDelegatedSession> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmLockState> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmLockState> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] Started Desktop Lock Monitor at REDACTED (Connected to desktop app). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmLockState> message to native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmLockState> from native core <REDACTED> (background.js, line 2)

Not sure why that OS (10.15.7) is listed; I run macOS Monterey Version 16.2 (17614.3.7.1.7, 17614).

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

If it helps: it looks like the correct 6 digit code is filled in initially, but before that can be accepted by PayPal, the first digit is put in all six fields (overwriting the correct values).

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @XIII - Thanks for following up here πŸ™‚

In the future, if we're asking for diagnostics to dig deeper, please email them into support@1password.com, along with the Community post URL, and your username. This way, we can ensure any information in the diagnostics can be kept private.

The console log doesn't look to be giving us anything useful related to the filling issue on this site, unfortunately. I've seen a couple other isolated reports of this behaviour, so I thought I'd share what has worked in those other user cases:

Checking if there are other one-time password fields in the item

If there is more than one one-time password field in the item, it can cause issues with autofill. To check this, open the 1Password app > search for the item and click 'Edit' > check to confirm there is only one 'one-time password' field showing. Here's a reference image when there are two:

If you do have a second one there, remove it, and try filling again.

Removing and re-saving the two-factor auth in the login item

1. Log into PayPal as normal.
    2. Go into account settings, and disable 2FA.
    3. Remove the one-time password field from the 1Password PayPal login item.
    4. Re-enable 2FA and re-update your login item using this guide -> Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication
    5. Save the settings on the PayPal page to ensure 2FA is set up once again.
    6. Log out and log back in to test.

I hope some of this is helpful!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Much to my surprise there were indeed 2 OTP's configured in my PayPal 1Password item...

Even more surprising: the "secret" for the second one was an invalid one, but 1Password was still generating TOTP codes from it...

Anyway, after removing that bogus second OTP everything seems to work as expected again πŸŽ‰

Thank you for helping me solve this after all this time!

• I am happy to hear @paul.m_1p could come to the rescue when I could not recall the issue. Now I will forever associate this with you XIII and go looking though your comments if I need to dig it up again. ;)

Happy New Year as we inch closer to 2023.

This discussion has been closed.