"Import directly from LastPass" pg says install desktop app, choose File > Import, no file menu

Options
lesster
lesster
Community Member

I want to import LastPass data into 1Password.
This import instructions page says to export a csv file and import it through the web site.

In the process of doing that I came to this page, which says it's better to use the 1Password desktop app and "Import directly from LastPass", among other reasons because that will bring attachments over too, which a csv won't, and because you don't have to save an unencrypted passwords file on your disk.

It says to install the desktop app, and "open and unlock 1Password, then choose File > Import to import from LastPass".
However, there is no File menu in the app, unless I'm being unusually thick.

Can you describe where to find it, what it looks like, send a screen shot, etc?
Are those instructions current and accurate?

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 19045.2486
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:import lastpass

Comments

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I found an Import Passwords button, not in any File menu, but it doesn't have the option to import directly from LastPass, only from unencrypted exports:

Are the instructions mentioned earlier just wrong?

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I also am seeing the same issue, the app suggest going to the web, so you log into the web, and it says to import LastPass use the app !!!
    Sounds like they have updated the web version, but the app is still not released.
    To be honest I'd rather use the app import method (if it exists) so I don't have to download the CSV.

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, appreciate the confirmation.
    I'd rather an actual official solution!

Including attachments and not saving an unencrypted pw file on disk are both strong drivers for having direct import as described on that page.

If you do download an unencrypted pw file, I recommend installing Microsoft's SDelete command line tool to get rid of it when you're done.

Does 1Password support ever respond here?
    Do they respond to actual support requests?
    They haven't responded to mine about this.

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone have any news on this?

• Hey folks! Thanks for the questions here.

As you may have deduced, we're working on some expanded options for LastPass import - including a built-in importer within the app itself. A link to that workflow went up on our website before the whole thing was quite ready, so I apologize for the understandable confusion this has caused.

For now, the best options are CSV import, or (depending on your level of comfort) our open-source LastPass migration tools on Github.

Here's our up to date instructions on LastPass import.

And we'll keep working on the additional functionality and aim to have that ready for you before too long. 👍

If you encounter any difficult with the import process, by the way, feel free to contact us at support@1Password.com and we'll be there to provide customized help.

Lastly, @lesster asked:

Does 1Password support ever respond here? Do they respond to actual support requests?

We really do our best to respond to every email and every thread in the forum. I know that "we're experiencing unusual call volumes" is kind of a cliché of tech support, but seriously - we're all working flat-out to help folks as quickly as possible (especially given the urgency of helping folks manage their data in the wake of the LP breach).

If you are encountering any issues from here or have further questions, do let us know. We're here for you!

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying here, I appreciate it, things were confusing!
    Do you have any idea how soon the built-in importer will be available?
    Are we talking days, weeks, months, longer?

Just to be clear, for now, when importing from LastPass:

• There's no way to include attachments?
    • There's no way to avoid creating an unencrypted LP data file on disk, and it's up to us to deleted it securely?
  • Hi @lesster 👋 Happy to help!

Do you have any idea how soon the built-in importer will be available?

It's coming along really fast, and will be here soon. Our policy is (in the vast majority of cases) not to share a timeline, but this is definitely on its way. If you have a large number of attachments and so forth to deal with I'd say this feature is likely worth the wait.

To your questions: you're correct - currently the way to import is by using a CSV file, which doesn't include attachments and which is unencrypted. We'll work to bring a better option to you as soon as we can! 🙏

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

@lesster looks like it's now available.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Does the new direct import from LP released on 2023-01-27 to the Windows app include attachments?

Drat, I wish this were available 2 weeks ago, I spent a lot of time importing the LP CSV, verifying it, transferring attachments one-by-one, checking custom fields and deleted my LP account.

Curious - How does this new direct import work? Does it grab 100% of LP data and map it to 1Password format? As far as I know, LP does not publish their vault format nor do they provide an API so how reliable is this import?

Thanks

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

That looks great, thank you 1P folks.

Like many others I'm sure, I already used the CSV import, and I've changed many of my my important entries in 1P since since then, so I won't be reimporting them, especially without dupe checking in 1P.

Guess that means digging up any attachments I care about, then manually downloading and importing them.
    Not 1P's fault of course, just a drag.

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

@shhh From what I can see yes.. at least that's what it says

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I saw that. Just wondering how reliable it is before someone deletes their LastPass account.

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Is direct import available on Mac too?

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure.. However I just tried it and I got an error saying that something went wrong, nothing got imported.

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, ugh.
    Don't want to try it myself since I already imported everything.
    Anyone else?

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I think you can import into a different vault, then you can then just remove the "old" vault. (that's assuming you can get it to work that is)

I had 2FA enabled on my LP account, I'm guessing that's what's blocking it

• Hi folks,

Thanks for writing in about this new Lastpass import support. We have updated our support article about how this works here: https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/#import-your-data-using-the-1password-apps

Does the new direct import from LP released on 2023-01-27 to the Windows app include attachments?

Yes, file attachments are fully supported for this new import process.

Does it grab 100% of LP data and map it to 1Password format?

Yes, we now log in to your LastPass account securely to pull data and map the ones we know about into 1Password compatible format while ensuring the rest are imported as Secure Notes, including custom templates which may come with a few unknown fields that we will store in the item. File attachments are fully supported as well.

Right now, for our first version, we support mapping Passwords > Logins, Address > Identities, Bank Account (same), and Payment Cards > Credit cards. The rest will be into Secure Note items.

We are working to improve this by supporting other templates over time as we understand how the original data is stored.

so I won't be reimporting them, especially without dupe checking in 1P.

Deduplication support is something we have on our list for the future and it would help in many situations, not just import like in this scenario.

Is direct import available on Mac too?

Yes, it is available on all desktop platforms with the 1Password 8.9.14 release on macOS, Windows and Linux. We may bring this to our mobile apps as well in time.

However I just tried it and I got an error saying that something went wrong, nothing got imported.

Do you by any chance have any multi-factor authentication turned on? If yes, they'll need to be temporarily turned off for the import process to work.

There is a known limitation where if you use an emoji or any UTF8 character in your items, the import will fail automatically as we can't parse it at the moment. If you could send us your diagnostics or look at your logs (Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Open Logs folder), it should have an error that we could look at and confirm what the issue may be.

I think you can import into a different vault, then you can then just remove the "old" vault. (that's assuming you can get it to work that is)

For this new LastPass import, all folders (including none in LP) will be imported as their own vaults into the account, so something like folder Work and Home will be added as Imported Home and Imported Work vaults.

All items will be tagged as LastPass, so you can potentially undo the import by selecting that tag and archive or delete all tagged items with that.

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT ... yes as I said later I have 2FA added on my LP account

• Hi @DickieD,

Sorry, I missed the connection between both posts. How did it go? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2023
    Options

@MikeT

I got these error messages trying the new importer against my free account:

INFO  2023-01-28T11:45:42.095 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(14)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/task_handle.rs:45] Starting import task
    ERROR 2023-01-28T11:45:43.328 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-import-export/src/importer/last_pass.rs:1726] export failed: failed to extract session id and private key
    ERROR 2023-01-28T11:45:43.328 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/import.rs:487] ExternalApiChanged
    INFO  2023-01-28T11:45:43.328 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(14)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/task_handle.rs:36] Finished import task

My data does contain UTF8 chars.

• Hi @MrC,

Thanks for that. I haven't seen that error before and will get in touch with our engineering team on what that is. We know that if it detects UTF8 character anywhere, it'll hard fail immediately and return an error message about that like this:

export failed: failed to convert data to UTF8: invalid utf-8 sequence of 1 bytes from index 15

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MikeT

Contact me via PM if you'd like my test account creds if that would help.

• Will do, thanks.

• DickieD
    DickieD
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT
    I tried again, disabling the 2FA on the account (and also disabling any login restrictions from other countries just in case) and still get the following error

INFO  2023-01-29T14:50:16.452 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(14)) [1P:op-app\src\app\backend\task_handle.rs:45] Starting import task
    ERROR 2023-01-29T14:50:17.631 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(6)) [1P:op-import-export\src\importer\last_pass.rs:1726] export failed: failed to extract session id and private key
    ERROR 2023-01-29T14:50:17.632 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(6)) [1P:op-app\src\app\backend\import.rs:487] ExternalApiChanged
    INFO  2023-01-29T14:50:17.632 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(14)) [1P:op-app\src\app\backend\task_handle.rs:36] Finished import task

Hope this helps

• Hi @DickieD,

That looks like the same issue as MrC, it may have to do with 1Password detecting UTF8 (something like an emoji character) characters in your data and right now, that's not currently supported in our first version of this feature.

Can you recall if you use emoji or symbols (outside of ASCII) anywhere in your data?

• geneblandjr
    geneblandjr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

I'm a recent subscriber, and I'm trying to import Lasspass data from a Mac using the desktop 1Password app. It is not working, and reviewing the Log per the instructions you posted above, I'm seeing:

ERROR 2023-02-10T12:30:55.252 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(2)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/import.rs:487] ExternalApiChanged
    INFO 2023-02-10T12:30:55.252 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(19)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/task_handle.rs:36] Finished import task

Is it possible that LastPass has changed their API such that your process is not working?

Additionally, I have tried to import an exported Lastpass_export.csv file (Exported from their toolbar app, as that is the only means by which the export seems to work). It fails as well with:

INFO 2023-02-10T12:44:54.821 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(19)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/task_handle.rs:45] Starting import task
    ERROR 2023-02-10T12:44:54.920 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(12)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/import.rs:487] UnsupportedExportFormat

The format is pretty vanilla - though I understand that if it doesn't match what your process is expecting, it would fail. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@geneblandjr

I think the 1Password folks have their hands full with this one.

In the mean time, you can try the lastpass converter in the converter suite.

• geneblandjr
    geneblandjr
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Thanks! I was able to use the converter suite to get my passwords converted into a usable format and loaded into 1Password. I ended up using the manual process, and I'm not sure I would expect a non-technical person to be able to get through it - but it certainly works!

Thanks again!
    -Gene

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@geneblandjr

There are a few steps, to be sure. But thousands have done it.

Excellent! I know the 1Password people are working hard to get their native importer completed, and when that is done, I'll place an advisory notice in the suite's README suggesting attempting to use that first. I'll keep this converter alive, for special customization purposes.

Cheers,
    Enjoy 1Password!

• tzafrir
    tzafrir
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I have 1Password for Mac 8.10.1 version installed (desktop app).
    I want to test the import from LastPass, using the File > Import option, but only for part of the data.
    I have not read about such an option, and did not see one in the Import pop-up either:

Is it possible to import only a (small) subset of the data from LP?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.